Follow the steps below to troubleshoot this issue.
IMPORTANT: Before beginning this procedure, obtain all available hardware and software updates:
- Download and install all available Sony driver, system and application updates.
- Click the Start button, click All Programs, and then click Windows Update to download and install the latest operating system updates. Specifically, all available operating system Service Packs.
- Because each of these steps represents a possible solution to this issue, check the connectivity of the USB device after completing each step.
- This issue is referenced in Microsoft KB Article ID 951766.
- This issue can manifest in either of the following manner:
- A USB Device Not Recognized pop-up error message is displayed.
- The USB device appears as an Unknown under the Universal Serial Bus controllers in the Device Manager window.
- Unplug the USB cable and power cord from the USB Device and then plug both cables back in, being sure to connect the USB cord and USB device per the device manufacturer instructions.
- Perform a power cycle on the computer.
- Remove the USB Device, turn off the computer, disconnect the computer AC Adaptor cord (if connected), and remove the computer battery.
- Wait at least 30 seconds and then re-insert the computer battery, reconnect the computer AC Adaptor cord (if necessary or desired), and turn it back on.
- Plug the USB Device into the computer, again being sure to connect the USB cord or USB device per the device manufacturer instructions.
- If the device is connected to a USB hub, it may not receive enough power to work properly and require a powered USB hub or must be connected directly to the computer. Consult the documentation for the USB device for information about power requirements.
- Incorrect or outdated drivers for the USB device may be installed. Contact the manufacturer of the USB device or visit its Web site to obtain the latest drivers.
- There may be an issue with the USB cable. Use a different cable to connect the USB device.
- This issue may occur if you are using a monitor with an integrated USB hub and do not have any USB device connected to the USB port on the monitor. Disconnect the USB cable between the computer and the monitor when you do not have a USB device connected to the monitor.
The troubleshooting steps listed above should resolve your issue. If you have completed all of the steps and the issue is not resolved, use the System Restore feature to return the computer to a time before the issue began.
IMPORTANT: If you have completed a System Restore and the issue is still not resolved, a complete System Recovery may be necessary. For model-specific information about using the VAIO Recovery software, consult the operating instructions supplied with the computer.