Follow these steps to enable or disable the System Restore feature.
- If the System Restore feature is disabled, the computer will not be able to track or undo any future changes to the computer. If all the existing restore points are also deleted, the computer will not be able to track or undo any past changes to the computer either.
- This information applies only to computers using the operating systems listed below this article in the Applicable Products and Categories section.
- Click the Start button, and then click Control Panel.
- In the Control Panel window, click System and Security.
- In the System and Security window, click System.
- In the System window, on the left side of the screen under Control Panel Home, click System Protection.
NOTE: If prompted for an administrator password or a User Account Control prompt is displayed, type the appropriate password, click Continue or click Yes.
- In the System Properties window, on the System Protection tab, in the Protection settings section, click to select the drive you wish to configure, and then choose the appropriate option:
- Click the Create button to immediately create a restore point for the drives that have system protection turned on.
- Click the Configure button to configure restore settings, manage disk space, and delete restore points. In the System Protection for [the selected drive] window:
- In the Restore Settings section, click to select at what level to enable the System Restore feature, or to disable the System Restore feature entirely.
- In the Disk Space Usage section, click and hold the slider bar and move it to configure the amount of disk space allocated for the System Restore feature.
- To delete all existing restore points, click the Delete button.
- Once all the desired configuration setting have been chosen, click the OK button.
- In the System Properties window, click OK button.
NOTE: If you have made any changes to the configuration setting, a System Restore window will appear. Click the Yes button to continue.
- In the System window, click the X in upper-right corner to close the window.