The VAIO Hardware Diagnostics utility can be used to perform tests on the processor (CPU) and hard disk drive (HDD) to ensure the computer is working properly and diagnose hardware issues when they occur. Follow this procedure to perform a Quick Test or Individual tests using this utility when the operating system will not start.
- If you already have the VAIO Hardware Diagnostics window open, skip to step 5.
- The VAIO Hardware diagnostics also can be accessed from within the operating system using the VAIO Care™ software . When the diagnostics are run using the VAIO Care software, additional diagnostic tests are available, such as memory (RAM), video adapter, optical drive (CD/DVD), network adapter (LAN), USB, and Sony Memory Stick® controller.
- Turn off the computer.
- Turn on the computer.
- When the VAIO screen is displayed, press the F10 key.
- If an Edit Boot Options screen appears, press the Enter key.
- If a Windows Boot Manager screen appears, select VAIO Recovery Environment and then press the Enter key.
- In the VAIO Recovery Center window, under Choose a program, click VAIO Hardware Diagnostics.
- In the VAIO Hardware Diagnostics window, click the Start button.
- On the Quick Test tab, click the Run Test button.
- The Quick Test option will test the CPU and HDD.
- To perform only a test on the HDD, click the Individual Test tab and then click the Run Test button.
- To verify and repair the HDD, click the Tools tab and then click the Open button.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the test.
- Click the Quit button.
Listed below are the errors that may be returned by the VAIO Hardware Diagnostics and the resolution action required:
NOTE: This list will be updated as errors and resolutions are identified.
|Optical Drive (CD/DVD-ROM) Test|
|There is no disc inserted in the drive. Insert a CD-ROM. --- (E-CD-001)||Insert a CD-ROM|
|No data track on the inserted disc. Insert a CD-ROM. --- (E-CD-002)||Insert a CD-ROM|
|The inserted disc is a DVD-ROM disc. Insert a CD-ROM. --- (E-CD-003)||Insert a CD-ROM|
|This disc cannot be used for this test. Insert a CD-ROM. --- (E-CD-004)||Insert a CD-ROM|
|There is no disc inserted in the drive. Insert a DVD-ROM. --- (E-DVD-001)||Insert a DVD-ROM|
|This inserted disc is protected. Insert a DVD-ROM. --- (E-DVD-002)||Insert a DVD-ROM|
|The inserted disc is invalid. Please insert a valid DVD-ROM ! --- (E-DVD-003)||Insert a DVD-ROM|
|= Errors were detected. --- (E-CD-005) =||Insert another disc. If the error code can be reproduce, the optical drive must be replaced.|
|= Errors were detected. --- (E-DVD-004) =||Insert another disc. If the error code can be reproduce, the optical drive must be replaced.|