How to troubleshoot a computer that is performing or running slowly or has stopped responding.
Follow these steps to troubleshoot when the computer is performing or running slowly or has stopped responding.
- When troubleshooting slow performance using the steps below, some steps may take an extended time to complete. Move on to the next step and complete the unused steps at a later time.
- Upgrading the system memory is likely to improve performance.
- It is advised to use the VAIO Care™ troubleshooters and/or hardware diagnostics to help resolve your issue. VAIO Care may not be available on all computers.
- Restart the computer into Safe Mode with networking .
- Because each of these steps represents a possible solution to this issue, check the computer status after completing each step.
- Starting the computer in Safe Mode with networking will ensure that all unnecessary background applications are closed, and will also clear the print queue.
- Safe Mode with networking will also allow testing of stability of the Internet connection.
- To ensure applications that load when the computer starts are not causing the computer to slow down, remove unused or infrequently used applications from startup .
- If this is a notebook computer, adjust the power settings to improve overall system performance.
- Stop any instances of host services that may be running.
- Delete any unnecessary files using the Disk Cleanup utility.
- Detect and repair possible errors on the hard drive using the Check Disk utility .
- For computers upgraded to the Windows Vista® operating system, check the Windows Experience Index rating to determine expected performance.
- Defragment the hard drive .
- Remove any recently added hardware.
NOTE: For assistance with any third-party hardware or software, please contact the hardware or software manufacturer.
- Setup the Windows Readyboost™ feature on a removable disk or flash memory drive.
- Because the presence of viruses, spyware and adware can cause the operating system to perform slowly, use the currently installed anti-virus application to clean the system of malware.
NOTE: The presence of two or more anti-virus programs can decrease computer performance.
- Perform a System Restore to return the configuration to a time when the computer was not performing as slowly.
The troubleshooting steps listed above should resolve any performance, slow down or no response issue. If you have completed all of the steps and the issue is not resolved, a full recovery of the system may be required.
WARNING: There is a risk of data loss. Ensure to back up any important data before running a full recovery of the system.