Follow these steps to make a backup of the operating system Registry.
WARNING: There is a risk of software corruption and data loss. When editing the Registry, there is the risk of corrupting installed software or the operating system, which may result in data loss.
- Click the Start button, and then in the Search field, type regedit.
- Press the Enter key.
NOTE: If prompted for an administrator password or a User Account Control prompt is displayed, type the appropriate password, click Continue or click Yes.
- In the Registry Editor window, on the menu bar, click File.
- In the File menu, click Export.
- In the Export Registry File window, under Export range, click the All radio button.
- In the File name box, enter the name for the exported file and then click the Save button.
- In the Registry Editor window, click the X button at the upper-right to close the Registry Editor.