The touchpad does not work properly, works without touching it, works intermittently or erratically, or is completely unresponsive.
Follow these steps to troubleshoot why the touchpad does not work properly, works without touching it, works intermittently or erratically, or is completely unresponsive.
- If the touchpad works intermittently, erratically, or without touching it, the problem may be caused by a recently installed piece of software. Troubleshoot the computer to see if the software is causing the problem.
- If model-specific information is required to complete any of the steps in this solution, refer to the operating instructions supplied with the computer. Manuals are posted on your model support page.
- This problem may be caused by an installed printer that is not physically attached and turned on. Attach and turn on the printer and then start the notebook. If this solves the issue, contact the manufacturer of your printer for additional troubleshooting information.
- Before beginning this troubleshooting, download and install any Touchpad driver updates available. Downloads are posted on your model support page.
- Because each of these steps represents a possible solution to this problem, check the touchpad status after completing each step.
- It is advised to use the VAIO Care™ troubleshooters and/or hardware diagnostics to help resolve your issue. VAIO Care may not be available on all computers.
- Ensure an external USB mouse is not connected to the system.
- Verify the correct AC adapter is being used and connected properly.
- If the problem is that the pointer is moving around the screen erratically, ensure the touchpad is not accidentally being touched while using the keyboard.
- If the problem is that the pointer is moving too fast or that it is difficult to double-tap or double-click, slow down the speed of the pointer and the double-click speed .
- Turn off and then restart the computer and, as the computer is restarting, press the F10 key to launch the VAIO Recovery application. If the touchpad does not work properly while in the VAIO Recovery application, then the issue is hardware based and service will be required to resolve the issue.  Go to Product Repair.
- If the touchpad works properly, proceed with the rest of this procedure.
- The remaining step of this procedure will be performed with the computer in the Safe Mode with Networking mode.
- Exit the VAIO Recovery application and restart the computer in Safe Mode with Networking .
- Reinstall the touchpad drivers.
NOTE: If necessary, the touchpad drivers can be reinstalled online. Downloads are posted on your model support page.
- Use the System Restore feature to restore the computer to a point when the touchpad was working correctly.