- Android™ 8.0 or higher
Updating the system software of an Xperia® device
You can check for new software for your Xperia device using a wireless connection and the Software update app on your device. However, some updates may not be available for wireless download. In such cases, you must check for new software using a USB cable and a computer on which the Xperia Companion application is installed.
- Make sure that your device is fully charged before performing a software update.
Check for new software wirelessly
Use the Software update app to update your device wirelessly. The updates you can download over the Internet directly on your Xperia device depend on your operator. It is recommended to use a Wi-Fi® network instead of a mobile network to download new software to avoid data traffic costs.
- If you use a device with multiple users, make sure you are logged in as the owner.
- Find and tap Settings → System → Advanced → Software update.
If no new software is available, you may not have enough free memory on your device.
If your Xperia device has less than 500 MB of free internal memory (device memory) available, you don't receive any information about new software.
The following notification appears in the Notification panel to warn of the lack of storage space: Storage space running out. Some system functions may not work. If you receive this notification, you must free up internal memory (device memory) before you can get notifications about new software being available.
- To manually check for software updates in the Software update app, tap the Refresh button. Alternatively, tap the menu button (three vertical dots) and tap Refresh.
Check for new software using a computer (except Xperia 1 IV and later products)
- Computer: If it's not already installed, download and install the Xperia Companion app.
- Open the Xperia Companion app.
- Connect your Xperia device to the computer using a USB cable.
- Xperia device: If prompted, in the Use USB to dialog, tap Transfer files (MTP).
- Computer: After a few moments, the Xperia Companion app detects your device and searches for new software. A popup window appears on the computer if a new software update is detected. Follow the on-screen instructions to update your Xperia device.
- To manually check for new software, click Software Update on the Xperia Companion home screen under Manage your Xperia.