Perform System Recovery Using VAIO Care Rescue Mode
Watch the video tutorial or follow the steps below to perform a System Recovery on your computer from outside the Microsoft® Windows® operating system using VAIO Care Rescue Mode.
IMPORTANT: This procedure is only for VAIO® computers running the preinstalled Windows® 8 or 8.1 operating system.
- Press and hold the power button until your computer turns off.
- Your computer must be completely powered off before you continue this procedure.
- On the keyboard, press the ASSIST button.
- The location of the ASSIST button depends on the model of your computer. Refer to the manual for model-specific information.
The VAIOCare | Rescue Mode screen starts and shows the following options:
- Recover or maintain your System [F10]: Perform a system recovery and return your computer back to factory condition.
- Start from media (USB device/optical disc) [F11]: Start your computer from a CD/DVD disc or USB device.
- Start from network [F12]: Start your computer from a network drive.
- Start BIOS [F2]: Allows you to enter and make modifications to the BIOS.
- Shut down [F4]: Shuts down your computer.
- Start Windows [Esc]: Starts your computer in Windows normally.
- Select language [F1]: Allows you to select a different language.
- On your keyboard, press the F10 key to select the Recover or maintain your System [F10] option.
- Choose your preferred keyboard layout.
- At the Choose an option screen, select Troubleshoot.
- At the Troubleshoot screen, select Recover and Maintenance.
- At the Recovery Tool screen, select Windows 8.
- In the VAIO Care (Rescue Mode) screen, click on Start recovery wizard.
- At the Do you need to rescue your data screen, select Yes, I'd like to start rescue now.
- If you don't have any data on your computer that you need to back up, select Skip rescue and proceed to step 15.
- Connect an external storage device such as a USB hard drive or thumb drive to your computer's USB port.
- At the Select rescue type window, select Easy rescue.
- If you want to manually select the files to back up, select Custom rescue and follow the on-screen directions.
- Select the drive you want to use to back up your data and click on the Next button.
- This screen displays the disc space required and the amount of free space on your external storage device.
- In the Confirm options and start rescue window, click the Start Rescue button.
- A progress window displays the status of the backup.
- At the Rescue has completed successfully window, click the Next button.
- At the Are you sure you want to start recovery? window, click to select Yes, I'm sure and then click the Start Recovery button.
- A status window displays the progress of the different applications. At this point, no additional action is required until the Recovery complete notification appears.
- This process may take up to two hours and your computer may restart several times.
- At the Recovery complete window, click the Restart button.
- After your computer restarts, follow the on-screen instructions to set up the operating system and complete the system recovery.