IMPORTANT: This article applies only to specific products and/or operating systems. Check Applicable Products and Categories for details.
If the volume coming through your portable player sounds too low when external speakers are connected, there may be a setting that needs to be adjusted, or the speakers may not be connected correctly. Follow these steps to try to resolve this issue.
IMPORTANT: If model-specific information is needed to complete any of these steps, refer to the instructions supplied with the product.
NOTE: Because each of these steps represents a possible solution to this issue, check the volume after completing each step.
- It is recommended that external speakers be plugged into a LINE OUT jack.
- If your portable player does not have a LINE OUT jack, you can connect the external speakers to the headphone jack. However, headphone jacks are typically only designed for headphones; therefore, the external speakers may not be able to reproduce the audio at the desired volume level.
- If your external speakers are active speakers (self-powered), the speakers will either use batteries or an AC adapter. If using batteries, try replacing the batteries with new batteries. If using the AC adapter, make sure that the adapter is securely connected to a working AC outlet.
- If you are using passive speakers, these speakers draw their power from the connected device. Check to make sure that the volume is raised on the portable player.
- Sony portable audio devices are factory set to limit the volume with the Automatic Volume Limiter System (AVLS). The AVLS feature is defaulted to on. Although it is recommended to leave this setting on in order to protect your hearing, you may wish to turn this setting off in order to increase the volume coming through the speakers.
- If possible, try connecting a different set of external speakers to your portable player. Or, connect this current set of external speakers to another portable player to see if there is any increase in the volume level.
If the issue is still unresolved, service may be required. Go to Product Repair.