Can I use an external USB hard drive with my BRAVIA TV?
You can use an external USB hard disk drive (HDD) for file playback or app storage if it meets the specifications for use on your BRAVIA™ television. Check your TV operation manual as compatibility with all HDD devices is not guaranteed. Manuals are posted on your model support page.
Before you start
- This feature is available for TVs with the Android™ 6.0 Marshmallow operating system (OS) and later. Manuals are posted on your model support page.
- A HDD can be formatted to file systems that will allow use with both Microsoft® Windows® or Apple® Macintosh® computers. Be sure to check the operation manuals or documentation for details on the hard disk drive or OS compatibility.
- For X74H_X75H series, refer to the What types of USB HDDs (hard disk drives) are compatible with Android TV (X74H_X75H series)? article.
Maximum HDD size for playback and App storage
Check the maximum HDD size and storage capacity for the supported file system.
|File system||Maximum HDD size for playback (videos, photos, and music)||Maximum HDD capacity for App storage|
|exFAT and NTFS||16TB||256GB|
- For the FAT32 file system, the file size for each app saved is limited to 4GB.
- To use a HDD for storage (apps only), it must be formatted on the TV before use. It will then work exclusively on the TV for app storage.
- It will not work with a computer, etc., after formatting on the TV.
- TVs with the Android 6.0 OS must use a HDD that is 256GB or smaller.
- TVs with Android 7.0 OS or later can use a HDD that is 256 GB or larger, but the usable capacity is restricted to 256 GB.
USB port type and maximum power output
Note: There are no conditions for Revolutions per minute (RPM) and Read/Write speed.
|USB port type||Max. power output||Port label||Port image|
|USB 3.1 Gen 1||900 mA|
|USB 2.0||500 mA|