BRAVIA Sync (HDMI-CEC) overview and troubleshooting information
BRAVIA™ Sync, BRAVIA Link, and CONTROL for HDMI are names of the HDMI-CEC feature on Sony products. The HDMI-CEC (Consumer Electronics Control) is a HDMI® standard that provides control functions between different A/V devices such as TVs, home theater systems, Blu-ray Disc™ players, Cameras, Camcorders, and other HDMI devices. It allows you to control CEC compatible devices with one remote control.
Basic commands supported include:
- Power On/Off (Device auto power off and TV auto power on)
- Volume control
- Device menu control
- Basic playback functions
- Utilize two-way audio transfer with eARC/ARC (Enhanced Audio Return Channel/Audio Return Channel) to send/receive audio between the TV and audio system (A/V Receiver or Soundbar).
BRAVIA Sync connections
Here are some points to remember when connecting a BRAVIA Sync control system:
- In order for the system to function, all devices connected must compatible with the HDMI-CEC standard.
- The HDMI-CEC standard supports:
- 1 - TV
- 1 - Audio system (A/V Receiver or Soundbar)
- Up to 3 - Playback devices
- Up to 3 - Recording devices
- Up to 4 - Tuner devices
- If you connect more devices than supported in a device category, errors in operation will occur.
- Some devices connected to the TV may show as more that one device (Soundbar with Smart functions) and may appear as an audio system and a playback device.
- If you are using a power strip, make sure that any of your components that are part of the HDMI-CEC system are plugged into either a regular power strip or a power strip that has a constant power section.
General classification of devices
Consumer devices fall into the following general categories:
- Playback devices
- Roku® Streaming Stick®, Amazon Fire TV Stick™, and Apple TV® streaming players
- PlayStation®, Xbox®, and Nintendo® gaming consoles
- Blu-ray Disc and DVD players
- Digital cameras and Camcorders
- Blu-ray Disc, DVD or DVD/HDD recorders
- TiVo® recorders
- Audio System
- A/V Receivers
- Blu-ray Disc Recorder with a TV tuner
Note: Depending on your TV menu options, use the supplied remote to determine the device type that is connected to the HDMI ports:
- Press HOME → Select Settings → Channels & Inputs → HDMI Settings → Device List → Enable
- Press HOME → Select Settings → Watching TV → External inputs → BRAVIA Sync settings → BRAVIA Sync device list → Enable
- Press ACTION MENU → Select Sync Menu → Bravia Sync Settings → BRAVIA Sync device list → Enable
- Press ACTION MENU → Select Sync Menu → Select connected device
- Press Sync Menu → Select HDMI Device Selection
If the device is HDMI-CEC compatible and connected, the category type will display.
Additional information and troubleshooting
Note: For model-specific information required to complete any of the steps, check your product manuals .
- To use a digital camera or camcorder with BRAVIA Sync, refer to the How to connect the camera to use the BRAVIA Sync function article.
- If your system is not operating correctly, please refer to the The BRAVIA Sync feature does not operate properly article.
- If your BRAVIA Sync connections have stopped working between the audio system and TV, refer to the Troubleshoot HDMI-CEC issues between the audio system and TV article.
- Some TVs with multiple HDMI inputs require that a specific HDMI input be used for the BRAVIA Sync feature to work.
- If you experience TV power or control issues when using BRAVIA Sync, refer to the The TV turns off by itself or the picture turns black while the sound remains article.
- Additional HDMI-CEC tips