Before you start
- You can use an external USB hard disk drive (HDD) for file playback or app storage if it meets the specifications for use on your Android TV™. Compatibility with all HDD devices is not guaranteed.
- This feature is available for TVs with the Android™ 6.0 Marshmallow operating system (OS) and later.
- A HDD can be formatted to file systems that will allow use with both Microsoft® Windows® or Apple® Macintosh® computers. Be sure to check the operation manuals or documentation for details on hard disk drive or OS compatibility.
- For X74H_X75H series, refer to the What types of USB HDDs (hard disk drives) are compatible with Android TV (X74H_X75H series)? article.
Maximum HDD size for playback and App storage
Check the maximum HDD size and storage capacity for the supported file system.
|File system||Maximum HDD size for playback (videos, photos, and music)||Maximum HDD capacity for App storage|
|exFAT and NTFS||16TB||256GB|
- For the FAT32 file system, the file size for each app saved is limited to 4GB.
- To use a HDD for storage (apps only), it must be formatted on the TV before use. It will then work exclusively on the TV for app storage.
- It will not work with a computer, etc., after formatting on the TV.
- TVs with the Android 6.0 OS must use a HDD that is 256GB or smaller.
- TVs with Android 7.0 OS or later can use a HDD that is 256 GB or larger, but the usable capacity is restricted to 256 GB.
USB port type and maximum power output
|USB port type||Max. power output||Port label||Port image|
|USB 3.1 Gen 1||900 mA|
|USB 2.0||500 mA|
Revolutions per minute (RPM) and Read/Write speed