This article is provided to help troubleshoot the Audio Return Channel (ARC) or Enhanced Audio Return Channel (eARC) feature not working with your TV and audio system when both are compatible with the HDMI® ARC/eARC feature.
Before you start
- Verify that both the TV and the audio system you are using are compatible with the ARC feature. The ARC feature eliminates the need to use an additional composite audio cable or an optical cable when connecting an audio system to a TV. Most devices that support the ARC or eARC feature will have one or more HDMI ports labeled (ARC or eARC/ARC).
- If only one device is compatible, the ARC/eARC feature can't be activated and you'll need to connect the audio system with an optical cable or audio cable to get sound from your TV. A separate article is available with various connection options for how to hear the TV sound through speakers of a stereo receiver or home theater system.
- For information on the ARC feature, see the article What is the Audio Return Channel (ARC) feature?
Perform the steps as needed to help resolve your issue. Check if the issue is resolved after each step that's performed. If model-specific information is required in order to complete any of these steps or to determine if your product supports the ARC/eARC feature, refer to the manuals for your products.
- Perform a power reset of your TV and audio system
- Update your TV and audio system to the .
- Ensure the Control for HDMI option is set to ON for both devices. The HDMI control settings may vary depending on your device, check your device manual if you need specific details. For BRAVIA™ TV models, choose Enable from the BRAVIA Sync device list. Enabling the BRAVIA Sync device list on a BRAVIA TV
- Check your audio system settings, the Audio Return Channel (ARC/eARC) or the TV Audio Input Mode setting should be set to On or Auto.
Note: This setting may be different or may not be available on some products.
- Check your HDMI cable. Make sure you are using a high-speed HDMI cable and it's securely connected to the HDMI ports labeled HDMI IN (ARC or eARC) port of the TV and to the HDMI OUT (ARC or eARC) of the audio device. Avoid using long cables and remove any adapters or extenders.
Note: When using eARC, a Premium HDMI cable should be used or audio issues may occur.
- Disconnect the HDMI cables from all devices and clear the data and cache from the ExternalInputServices app (Android TV™ and Google TV™ models). Clearing data and cache from the ExternalInputServices app
- Make sure all other devices are disconnected from your TV and then connect only your audio system to eliminate the possibility of another device causing a problem.
If the issue still occurs, try these additional troubleshooting steps:
- Make sure the speaker settings on your TV are set to use your audio system.
- Make sure your audio system input is set to TV by pressing the INPUT or TV button on your audio system remote.
- Set the Digital Audio Output settings of your TV to PCM.
- For Android TV and Google TV models, clearing the data and cache of an app may resolve sound issues. If an app is causing problems with sound, select that app and clear the data and cache. For additional information refer to the article Clear Data and Clear Cache on your Android TV or Google TV.