FAQ - Control your TV with Amazon Alexa devices
Alexa is Amazon's cloud-based voice service. Alexa Skills are voice-driven Alexa Cloud Service capabilities which enable you to control select products through the Amazon® Alexa™ app that runs on Amazon Echo™ and Amazon Echo Dot™ devices. With this feature you can use your voice to turn your TV on or off, change channels, control volume, and more.
There are two types of Skills in Alexa. The Skill you can select is based on the app installed on your TV:
- For TVs with the TV Control with Smart Speakers app: Select the Sony's TV skill, and enable it.
- For TVs with the TV Control Setup with Amazon Alexa app: Select the Sony's TV - Basic skill, and enable it.
Alternatively, you can also enable it by specifying the Skill name using your voice.
Note: Alexa will not work if you try to use a Skill that is not compatible with your TV.
You cannot manually install these apps, they will automatically install on supported TVs. If your TV is supported, one of the following apps will be on the Home screen or in the Apps list:
- TV Control Setup with Amazon Alexa
- TV Control with Smart Speakers
The Skills differ by app version. For details, refer to the What is an Alexa Skill and how does it work? section.
Note: If you don't see one of these apps, your TV may not be supported yet. Make sure your TV is set to automatically receive updates.
What is required to use the Alexa App?
- TV models that support the Alexa skill (See Supported TV models)
Note: The Alexa app will automatically install and appear in the Apps section on supported TVs. If you don't see the app in the Apps section, your TV doesn't support this feature.
- An Amazon Alexa device such as the Amazon Echo or Amazon Dot
Note: Google Home™ isn't supported.
- A Mobile device (phone or tablet) running on Amazon® Fire™ OS 3.0 and higher, Android™ 5.0 and higher, or iOS™ 9.0 and higher
- An Amazon account
- A Google™ Account (when using the TV Control Setup with Amazon Alexa app)
Note: Use the same Google Account on your TV and your mobile device.
- A Home network with Wi-Fi® capabilities (Dual-band Wi-Fi supports 802.11 a/b/g/n (2.4 and 5 GHz) networks. The app doesn't support connecting to ad-hoc or peer-to-peer Wi-Fi networks.
How to useCan I change channels with Alexa on my cable or satellite box? What are Scenes? Can I control multiple TVs with the same Alexa account? Why do I need to link my TV to the Sony Video skill? Can I link 2 video skills to 1 echo device? Why do I have to pair my remote control to change channels on my cable or satellite box with Alexa? Can I use an Alexa Show device to control my TV?
What can I do with Amazon Alexa on the TV?
Here are some of the TV functions you can perform with Alexa.
TroubleshootingThe TV cannot be turned on using Amazon Alexa-enabled devices. My TV doesn't respond to Amazon Alexa commands. Device discovery fails on the TV Control with the Smart Speakers or TV Control Setup with the Amazon Alexa app.
*1 The Amazon Alexa app is a mobile application provided by Amazon. Please access the app from your smartphones or tablets.