IMPORTANT: This article applies only to specific products and/or operating systems. Check Applicable Products and Categories for details.
Before You Start
- This solution is based on the MDR-RF985RK Radio Frequency (RF) headphones. If model-specific information is needed to complete any of these steps, refer to the instructions supplied with the product.
- Because each of these steps represents a possible solution to this issue, check the headphone status after completing each step.
- Verify that the transmitter is firmly plugged into the correct jack on the audio source.
- In most cases this will be a headphone jack or audio out.
- The image below is an example on how to connect the transmitter to your audio source.
- Make sure that the POWER switch on the headphones is in the ON position.
NOTE: When the headphones are on, the POWER light on the headphone should light up green. If it does not, the headphones will need to be charged.
- Make sure that the volume of the headphones is turned up.
- If you are receiving a signal, but it is not clear, change the radio frequency with the CHANNEL selector switch on the transmitter, then briefly press the AUDIO TUNING button on the headphones.
- Make sure that there is an audio signal coming from the source device.
NOTE: You may need to turn the volume up on the audio source. For example, if the source is a TV, turn up the volume of the TV to a higher level and use the volume on the headphones to adjust the volume to the desired listening level.
- If possible, connect the transmitter to a different source to test, or use another wired headphones just to make sure sound is coming from the connected input.
- If your transmitter is connected to a TV, make sure your TV is configured properly .
- If audio is being heard from the left side of the headphones only, make sure the device from which it is connected has stereo output capability.
IMPORTANT: A mono device will only output sound to the left side.
The troubleshooting steps listed above should resolve your issue. If you have completed all of the steps and the issue is not resolved, service may be required. Go to Product Repair.