Full Specifications and Features
Size & Weight
- Dimensions (W x H x D)
- Approx. 2.21 x 3.84 x 0.43" / 55.9 x 97.5 x 10.9 mm
- Approx. 3.5 oz 98 g
- Battery Life - Continuous Playback Music
- DSD (2.8224 MHz/1 bit)/Noise Cancel OFF: Approx. 25 hrs, DSD (2.8224 MHz/1 bit)/Noise Cancel ON: Approx. 22 hrs, FLAC (192 kHz/24 bit)/Noise Cancel OFF: Approx. 30 hrs, FLAC (192 kHz/24 bit)/Noise Cancel ON: Approx. 27 hrs, FLAC (96 kHz/24 bit)/Noise Cancel OFF: Approx. 39 hrs, FLAC (96 kHz/24 bit)/Noise Cancel ON: Approx. 32 hrs, MP3 (128 kbps)/Noise Cancel OFF: Approx. 45 hrs, MP3 (128 kbps)/Noise Cancel ON: Approx. 37 hrs
- Charging Time (full charge)
- Approx. 4 hrs
- Charging Time (Quick Charge)
- Memory Size
- 16 GB
- USB Connection
- Hi-Speed USB (USB 2.0 compliant)
- WM-PORT (multiple connecting terminal): 22 pins
- Wireless Capabilities
- Bluetooth® Ver 4.2, NFC: Yes
- Compatible Bluetooth® Profile
- Compatible Bluetooth profiles*1 - A2DP (Advanced Audio Distribution Profile) - AVRCP (Audio Video Remote Control Profile) Supported Codec*2: SBC*3, LDAC, aptX *1 Bluetooth profiles are standardized according to the purpose of the Bluetooth device. *2 Codec indicates the audio signal compression and conversion format. *3 SBC stands for Subband Codec.
- Input and Output Terminals
- Headphones: Stereo mini jack, WM-PORT: WM-PORT (multiple connecting terminal): 22 pins, External memory: Micro SD Micro SDHC Micro SDXC
Playback & display
- Music Searching Methods
- All Songs/Artist/Release Year/Playlists/Album/Genre/Composer/Hi-Res/Recent Transfers/SensMe Channels/Folder
- Music Play Mode
- Shuffle Playback/Repeat Off/Repeat 1 Song/Repeat All,Playback Range (All Range/Selected Range)
- Drag and Drop
- Display Resolution
- 3.1" (7.8 cm), WVGA (800 x 480 Pixels)
- Display Type
- TFT color display with white LED backlight capacitive touch screen
- Photo Playback Notes
- FM Tuner
- Sound Effects
- 6 Band equalizer (Off/Rock/Pop/Jazz/Classical/EDM/R&B HIPHOP/Relax/Custom 1/Custom 2), DSEE HX (On/Off), DC Phase Linearizer, VPT (Off/Studio/Club/Concert Hall/Matrix), Dynamic Normalizer (On/Off), ClearAudio+ (On/Off), Clear Phase (On/Off)
- Audio Formats
- AAC ( .mp4, .m4a, .3gp): 6–320 kbps/8–48 kHz, APE ( .ape): 8, 16, 24 bit/8–192 kHz (Fast, Normal, High), Apple Lossless ( .mp4, .m4a): 16, 24 bit/8–192 kHz, DSD ( .dsf, .dff): 1 bit/2.8224, 5.6448, 11.2896 MHz (audio that is converted to Linear PCM is output), FLAC ( .flac): 16, 24 bit/8–192 kHz, HE-AAC ( .mp4, .m4a, .3gp): 32–144 kbps/8–48 kHz, MP3 ( .MP3): 32–320 kbps (supports variable bitrate (VBR))/32, 44.1, 48 kHz, WMA ( .WMA): 32–192 kbps (supports variable bitrate (VBR))/44.1 kHz
- Audio Playback Notes
- ・Sampling frequency may not correspond to all encoders. ・Copyright-protected files cannot be played back. ・Non-standard bit rates or non-guaranteed bit rates are included depending on the sampling frequency. ・Files that are 4 GB (APE is 2 GB) or larger cannot be played back. ・This product recognizes audio sources exceeding CD quality (44.1 kHz/16 bit quantization) and DAT quality (48 kHz/16 bit quantization) as High-Resolution Audio. The "HR" symbol is displayed for High-Resolution Audio sources.
- Video Formats
- Video Playback Notes
Headphone Out (Balanced standard-jack)
- 35 mW + 35 mW
- Operating System
- Sony original OS
- System Requirements
- Windows® 10 Windows® 8.1 Windows® 7 macOS™ v10.8–10.12
- TFT color display with white LED backlight capacitive touch screen
- Digital Noise Canceling
- Digital Noise Cancelation Select NC Environment: Full-auto AINC, Bus/Train, Airplane, Office
What's In The Box
- ・Walkman (1) ・USB cable (1) ・Startup Guide ・Instruction Manual A Micro SD card is not supplied with the Walkman.
Available in a range of colors
The NW-A40 Series comes in a range of unique colors, designed to fit seamlessly with your style and your life.
High-Resolution Audio for uncompromising sound
Enjoy the subtlest nuances of studio-quality sound in higher-than-CD quality with High-Resolution Audio. Passion for music unites every component from signal to speaker, so it feels like the artist is performing right in front of you.
S-Master HX™ delivers High-Resolution Audio in maximum quality
Optimized for High-Resolution Audio, the S-Master HX™ amplifier reduces distortion and noise, allowing you to enjoy all the subtleties in your music.
Experience the natural sound and intense detail of DSD audio formats. This is the preferred recording format of many top producers and engineers, and you can enjoy it using the NW-A40 Series' high-quality PCM conversion.
Restore all your compressed files
The Digital Sound Enhancement Engine HX (DSEE HX™) upscales compressed digital music files (MP3, ACC, ATRAC, and WMA) and brings them closer to the quality of High-Resolution Audio. By restoring the high-range sound lost in compression, DSEE HX™ reproduces your digital music files with rich, natural sound.
New solder maximizes clarity
The precision-engineered components of the NW-A40 Series include high-quality, lead-free solder on the circuit board. This improved solder is also used on the S-master HX™ (CXD-3778GF) chip, resulting in a more efficient electronic connection. Every time you press play, you can enjoy purer audio playback with enhanced vocal clarity.
New circuit board for pure, solid bass
The optimized circuit board of the NW-A40 Series improves electricity flow. The layout from the battery to the audio block minimizes the power loop, making the power supply stable. The result is clearer sound and pure, solid bass that comes through in every track.
LDAC™: for the transmission of High-Resolution Audio content
Enjoy your music in higher-than-CD quality with LDAC™ wireless audio transmission. LDAC uses a conventional BLUETOOTH® connection, but transfers at a maximum data transfer rate up to 990 kbps—approximately three times that of other audio profiles. The result is enhanced wireless listening that's much closer to the artist's intention.
Digital noise cancelation for fewer distractions
When used with compatible IER-NW500N headphones, the NW-A40 Series' digital noise cancelation reduces the ambient noise you would normally hear from your surroundings. Microphones built into the headphones work with the digital noise cancelation engine to cut out unwanted sound.
Ambient Sound Mode keeps you aware
Listening to music but still want to hear the outside world? When you're using the compatible IER-NW500N headphones, select Ambient Sound Mode and the NW-A40 Series will let in external sounds to keep you aware of your surroundings.
Plays and decodes MQA music files
The NW-A40 Series is fully compatible with MQA files, so you can play even more lossless-quality music.
USB DAC function makes music played from your computer sound even better
Use your NW-A40 Series as a USB DAC (Digital-Analog Converter) by pairing it with a PC, Mac computer, or with a PC or Mac computer. When connected and activated using the supplied USB cable, the NW-A40 Series replaces your computer's regular sound processing with its own highly tuned processing hardware. Whether you're at home or in the office, in a coffee shop or commuting, you can enjoy premium sound quality.
Effortless control with the large touch screen
With the large, full-color touch screen, you're in complete control. Change tracks, create playlists and more, just by tapping the handy on screen buttons.
Listen for longer with up to 45 hours' battery life
Perfect for commuting or when you want to enjoy your music all day, when fully charged you can enjoy up to 45 hours of music playback.
Expand your memory with the SD card slot
Want to store even more music on your Walkman®? Pop in an SD card (not supplied) for additional memory.
NFC™ One-touch for instant connectivity
Near Field Communication (NFC™) and BLUETOOTH® technology make connecting to your music fast and easy. Just touch your NFC™-enabled device to your NW-A40 Series for a quick, seamless connection, then start streaming.
Handy buttons for quick control
The play/pause, music selection and volume buttons on the side panel are shaped and positioned for easy operation.