Full Specifications & Features
- Sensor Type
- 1/2.5 type(7.20mm) back-illuminated Exmor R CMOS Sensor
- Effective Pixels (Video)
- approx. 8.29 Megapixels(16:9)
- Effective Pixels (Still Image)
- approx. 8.29 Megapixels(16:9)/approx. 6.22 Megapixels(4:3)
- Image Processor
- BIONZ X image processor
- Lens Type
- ZEISS Vario-Sonnar T*
- Filter Diameter
- Lens Cover
- Focal Distance
- Focal Length (35mm equivalent) (Video)
- Focal Length (35mm equivalent) (Still Image)
- f=26.8-536.0mm(16:9) f=32.8-656.0mm(4:3)
- Minimum Focus Distance
- approx.1cm(Wide), approx.80cm(Tele), approx.13/32inch(Wide), approx.31 1/2inch(Tele)
- Iris Diaphragm
- 6 blades
- Optical Zoom
- Clear Image Zoom
- 4K : 30x HD : 40x
- Digital Zoom
- Viewfinder Type
- 0.6cm(0.24 type)/Color 1 555 200dots equivalent
- Field of View
- Diopter adjustment
- Yes (-4.0 to +3.0 m-1)
- Screen Type
- 7.5cm(3.0 type) Xtra Fine LCD™ display(921 600dots) Wide(16:9)
- Touch Panel
- Brightness Control
- Marker/Grid Display
- Grid Line
- Angle Adjustment
- Opening Angle:max.90 deg., Turning Angle:max.270 deg.
- Image Stabilisation Type
- Balanced Optical SteadyShot w/ Intelligent Active mode(5-axis)
- Focus Type
- Contrast AF
- Focus Mode
- Auto/Manual(Touch Panel/Ring)
- Focus Area
- Full range Focus/Spot Focus
- Fast Intelligent AF
- Lock-On AF
- Manual Focus Assist
- Magnified display for precise manual focus, Peaking Display
- Auto, Flexible Spot(Touch Panel), Manual(Menu/Ring)
- Metering Modes
- Exposure Compensation
- AE Shift(Touch Panel/Ring)
- LOW LUX Mode
- Auto Iris Control
- Manual Iris Control
- Manual Exposure Assist
- Zebra Pattern Display
- Backlight Compensation
- Gain Control
- AGC Limit
- Minimum Illumination
- 4K:Standard:9 lux(1/50 Shutter Speed) HD:Standard:6 lux(1/50 Shutter Speed), 4K:Low Lux 1.8lux(1/25 Shutter Speed) HD:Low Lux 1.2lux(1/25 Shutter Speed), NightShot:0 lux(1/50 Shutter Speed)
- Auto Control Range
- Manual Iris Control (Photo mode)
- Manual Shutter
- Smooth Slow
- White Balance Modes
- White Balance Shift
- Flash Metering System
- Pre-flash TTL
- Flash Compensation
- Yes(3 steps)
- Flash Mode
- Media Type
- XAVC S 4K(100Mbps): SDHC Memory Card(4GB or over, UHS-I U3 or Higher)/SDXC Memory Card(UHS-I U3 or Higher), XAVC S 4K(60Mbps): SDHC Memory Card(4GB or over, Class10 or Higher)/SDXC Memory Card(Class10 or Higher), XAVC S HD: SDHC Memory Card(4GB or over, Class10 or Higher)/SDXC Memory Card(Class10 or Higher), AVCHD, Still: Memory Stick PRO Duo (Mark 2), Memory Stick PRO-HG Duo, Memory Stick XC-HG Duo, SD/SDHC/SDXC Memory Card(Class 4 or Higher)
- Recording Format (Video)
- XAVC S format:MPEG4-AVC/H.264, AVCHD format ver.2.0 compatible:MPEG4-AVC/H.264, MP4: MPEG-4 AVC/H.264
- Video Resolution
- XAVC S 4K : 3840x2160/25p, 24p, XAVC S HD : 1920x1080/50p, 25p, 24p, AVCHD : 1920x1080/50p(PS), 25p(FX, FH), 24p(FX, FH), 50i(FX, FH), 1440x1080/50i(HQ, LP), MP4: 1280x720 25p
- Video Recording Rate (ABR / VBR)
- XAVC S 4K: approx.100Mbps, XAVC S 4K: approx.60Mbps, XAVC S HD: approx.50Mbps, AVCHD PS:approx.28Mbps/FX:approx.24Mbps/FH:approx.17Mbps/HQ:approx.9Mbps/LP:approx.5Mbps, MP4: approx.3Mbps
- Recording Format (Still Image)
- JPEG (DCF Ver.2.0, Exif Ver.2.3, MPF Baseline compliant)
- Still Image Size (Photo Mode)
- L: 16.6 Megapixels 16:9 (5440x3056), 12.5 Megapixels 4:3 (4080x3056), M: 8.3 Megapixels 16:9 (3840x2160), 6.2 Megapixels 4:3 (2880x2160), S: 2.1 Megapixels 16:9 (1920x1080), 0.3 Megapixels 4:3 (640x480)
- Still Image Size (Movie Mode)
- M: 8.3 Megapixels 16:9 (3840x2160), S: 2.1 Megapixels 16:9 (1920x1080)
- Still Image Size (Photo Capture)
- XAVC S 4K: 8.3 Megapixels 16:9 (3840x2160), XAVC S HD: 2.1 Megapixels 16:9 (1920x1080), AVCHD: 2.1 Megapixels 16:9 (1920x1080)
- Still Image Size (Time-Lapse Capture)
- 4K:L(8.3M, 3840x2160)/HD:S(2.1M, 1920x1080)
- Still Image Size (Dual Record)
- M: 8.3 Megapixels 16:9 (3840x2160), S: 2.1 Megapixels 16:9 (1920x1080)
- Built-in Zoom Microphone
- Audio Recording Format
- MPEG-4 Linear PCM 2ch(48kHz/16bit), Dolby Digital 5.1ch, Dolby Digital 5.1Creator, Dolby Digital 2ch Stereo, Dolby Digital Stereo Creator, MPEG-4 AAC-LC 2ch
- Mic Level Control
- Auto Wind Noise Reduction
- My Voice Canceling
- Monaural Speaker
- High Speed Rec
- Yes(100p/1920x1080, 100/60Mbps)
- Time-lapse Capture
- Yes, Shooting Interval(1/2/5/10/30/60sec), Shot Number(1-999), Capture Image Size(4K:L(8.3M, 3840x2160)/HD:S(2.1M, 1920x1080)), AE Mode(AE Lock/AE Tracking)
- Scene Selection
- Auto/Night Scene/Sunrise & Sunset/Fireworks/Landscape/Portrait/Spotlight/Beach/Snow
- NightShot infrared System
- Time code/User Bit
- Other Features
- Face Detection, Cinematone, Golf Shot, Smooth Slow Rec, Fader Effect(s)(White/Black), Intelligent Auto(Portrait/Baby/Walk/Tripod/Backlight/Landscape/Spotlight/Twilight/Macro/Low light/Auto wind noise reduction), Smile Shutter(Off/Dual Capture/Always On ), Red Eye Reduction(Yes), Direct Copy
- Fast Playback
- About 5 times/10 times/30 times/60 times
- Slow Playback
- Forward:1/5 speed, Reverse:1/2 speed
- Trimming Playback
- Highlight Movie Maker
- Yes, Highlight background music(Preinstalled 6 music files, Music transfer compatible
- Motion Shot Video
- Slide Show (Still Image)
- Slide Show
- Yes(Wi-Fi Compatible, IEEE 802.11b/g/n(2.4GHz band) )
- Yes (NFC forum Type 3 Tag compatible)
- Live Streaming
- Multi Camera Control
Terminal / Shoe
- Accessory Shoe
- Yes(Multi Interface Shoe)
- HDMI Terminal
- Yes (HDMI micro)
- Multi/Micro USB Terminal
- Remote Terminal
- integrated into Multi/Micro USB Terminal
- STD Output
- Composite Video Out(AV CABLE(sold separately))
- Microphone Input
- Stereo Minijack
- Headphone Jack
- Stereo Minijack
- Memory Card Slot
- Memory Stick PRO Duo and SD/SDHC/SDXC compatible
- DC IN
- Battery Type
- InfoLITHIUM with AccuPower Meter System (V Series)
- Power Consumption (LCD)
- Power Consumption (Viewfinder)
- Power Requirements
- 6.8V/7.3V(battery pack), 8.4V (AC Adaptor)
- Charge on camcorder(Charging time with supplied Battery)
- Yes(approx. 3h 25min)
- USB Charging
- DC 5V 1500mA
Size & Weight
- Dimensions (W x H x D) (including supplied battery)
- Approx.73mm x 80.5mm x 161mm(Approx.73mm x 80.5mm x 166.5mm(NP-FV70)/Approx.73mm x 80.5mm x 173mm(NP-FV70A)(including supplied battery)), Approx.2 7/8inch x 3 1/4inch x 6 3/8inch(Approx.2 7/8inch x 3 1/4inch x 6 5/8inch(NP-FV70)/Approx.2 7/8inch x 3 1/4inch x 6 7/8inch(NP-FV70A)(including supplied battery))
- Weight (main unit only)
- Approx.535g, Approx.1lb 2.9oz
- Weight (including supplied battery)
- Approx.585g(NP-FV50A), Approx.635g(NP-FV70)/Approx.625g(NP-FV70A)(supplied battery), Approx.680g(NP-FV100A), Approx.1lb 4.6oz(NP-FV50A), Approx.1lb 6.4oz(NP-FV70)/Approx.1lb 6oz(NP-FV70A)(supplied battery), Approx.1lb 8.0oz(NP-FV100A)
What's In The Box
- Rechargeable Battery Pack(NP-FV70/NP-FV70A) (1), AC Adaptor (1), Power Cord (1), Operating Guide(1), HDMI(micro) Cable (1), micro USB Cable (1)
4K image quality
Shoot 4K footage that contains about four times more detail than Full HD (3840 x 2160 pixels vs. 1920 x 1080) footage, and capture more of the incredible qualities that bring images to vibrant life.
New image sensor exclusively for 4K
A newly developed image sensor, with pixels of approximately 1.6 times bigger size, offers superior sensitivity for capturing beautiful high-quality images with less noise under dark as well as bright shooting conditions.
New ZEISS™ Vario-Sonnar T* lens for 4K
This new lens helps to depict remarkable details of high-quality 4K images throughout its wide-angle-to-telephoto range. The use of an AA (advanced aspherical) lens not only keeps depiction faithful — it also keeps the lens unit compact. ED (Extra-low Dispersion) lens helps to ensure accurate reproduction of colour. Multilayer ZEISS T* Coating further enhances image quality by reducing unwanted reflection, such as ghost and flare.
Up to 26.8mm wide angle lens
Whether you’re shooting movies or still images, the class-leading wide-angle lens can help you capture more of landscapes and indoor scenes, when you don’t have enough room to step back. Even without a wide conversion lens, the camcorder shoots as wide as 26.8mm (16:9 aspect ratio) in movie mode.
Balanced Optical SteadyShot™
Advanced image stabilisation suppresses camera shake to stabilise a movie as it is being shot within the wide-angle-to-telephoto zoom range. In HD shooting mode, it further reduces effects of camera shake even under unstable conditions with 5-axis Intelligent Active mode compensating for vibration in five different directions, so you can shoot stable high-quality movies even while running.
Rapid AF response to capture decisive moments
Fast Intelligent AF achieves very speedy, accurate contrast-detection autofocus by minimising lens motion, predicting the AF range, and accelerating lens drive, thereby improving response so you can capture more fleeting moments.
Extensive zoom shooting capabilities
20x optical zoom lens and Clear Image Zoom of 30x/40x (for 4K/HD) allow you to shoot faraway subjects and capture memorable moments.
Realistic recording of voices, music and other sound
Its new structural design enables the microphone to gather, from five directions, clearer sound with approx. 40% less noise and twice as effective 2ch stereo (for XAVC S shooting) and three times as effective 5.1ch surround (for AVCHD shooting) sound performance. This makes it possible to faithfully reproduce audio with clearly defined separation.
High Speed REC in Full HD for high-quality slow motion
Shoot in Full HD at 100fps (NTSC/PAL), edit the footage after shooting, and the resulting slow-motion images of the movie will look startlingly smooth and sharp in playback. This is excellent for reviewing, in greater slow-motion detail, sports and everyday action that can occur too quickly in real time for you to see clearly..
4K Time-lapse Capture
You can capture 4K size still images continuously over an extensive period of time at a selected constant interval from each shot to the next, edit the entire sequence of still images in post-production, and enjoy playback of that series of images as a time-lapse movie.
Super-sampled Full HD playback
Enhance your viewing experience even without a 4K television. Using super-sampling, the camera automatically down-converts 4K footage to exceptionally detailed Full HD.
You can select a specific portion of the picture and play it back in Full HD, thanks to 4K high resolution. Also, you can change trimming size with the zoom lever or on-screen display icon.
Advanced shooting features
Enjoy total customisation with ergonomic manual controls. Use the intuitive multi-purpose manual ring to adjust zoom, focus, exposure, IRIS, shutter speed, AE shift, or white balance shift mode after using the manual button to select the mode. The electronic viewfinder offers accurate image preview.
Time Code / User Bit
Time Code and User Bit can be added to movies as data elements. Time Code function records hours/minutes/seconds/frames on image data for precise advanced video editing. User Bit function records information such as date/time/scene number, etc. in eight-digit arbitrary numbers, and is useful for editing movies using two or more cameras.
Exceptional image quality
By employing XAVC S format, which was developed from the XAVC format for professional use, 4K 100Mbps and Full HD 50Mbps high-bitrate recording realise incredibly high-quality images. Yet, XAVC S data is compressed so that it is more manageable for general consumers.
Superb night shooting
This feature uses infrared light to take images even in complete darkness. By using NIGHTSHOT, parents can easily capture children’s cute sleeping faces.
Face Detection and Smile Shutter
Use Face Detection to optimise focus, exposure and colour for people who are the most important subject of a shot. You can prioritise a subject’s face by touching it on the LCD. And with Smile Shutter, the camera can also automatically capture still shots of great (but fleeting) smiles, even while recording movies.
Enhances the tracking of moving subjects by using the optimal AF point at all times, and adjusting the target frame size to match your subject’s characteristics. Just touch the subject on LCD to lock on fast-moving targets precisely for shooting.
Analyse your swing with no need for fancy equipment. Golf Shot mode lets you capture video and stills of each step of your swing.
5.1ch surround sound microphone
Record clear sound that accurately captures the atmosphere of the scene, and enjoy surround sound playback on your home theatre system. Level meters on the LCD panel provide visual monitoring of each channel’s levels.
My Voice Canceling
Reduce the intensity of the voice of a user shooting from close behind the camera, whether the user is talking to subjects or cheering them on.
Motion Shot Video
This convenient feature allows playback of a dramatic sequence of superimposed images to trace every split second of action, a powerful tool for analysing sports motion on screen. During playback, you can adjust the interval between images, or pause to capture still images to share with friends.
Highlight Movie Maker
A versatile function to streamline movie editing, Highlight Movie Maker offers several time-saving features. Add highlight points to key moments while recording, and let the camcorder automatically sync movie transitions to your chosen soundtrack.
Dual Video Recording
Record two movies at the same time — one in the maximum-quality XAVC S or AVCHD format and another in MP4 format. That way you’ve got a small file ready for instant sharing, plus a professional-grade file for further editing.
Live Streaming via Ustream (currently IBM Cloud Video)
From performances to sports events, some things are best seen in real time. Share scenes as they happen with high-quality picture and sound.
Multi Camera Control
More shots mean more editing opportunities. Easily record footage from a variety of angles, whether using cameras mounted directly to the Handycam® or triggered wirelessly. Multi Camera Control makes it easy to sync shooting settings on compatible Wi-Fi connected devices.
One-touch remote and one-touch sharing
One-touch remote lets you use your smartphone or tablet as a viewfinder and remote control for a digital camera, and One-touch sharing lets you transfer your photos and videos from your camera. Either way, by installing PlayMemories Mobile app to your NFC enable Android smartphone or tablet, you can avoid complex set-up sequences and establish wireless connection simply by touching your device to the camera. You are now ready to control your camera from your smartphone to take a photo from a previously out-of-reach spot, or simply be in your own group shot, as well as transfer them instantly to your smartphone for sharing on SNS. No NFC? No problem. You can also pair the devices manually.
Xtra Fine LCD with WhiteMagic™
The high-precision Xtra Fine LCD features a WhiteMagic display that uses white pixels in addition to RGB pixels to boost screen brightness, allowing users to see subtle details and tones on the screen in all types of shooting environments, including outdoors in bright sunlight.
Works with iMovie and Final Cut Pro X
This product is compatible with Final Cut Pro X and iMovie.