Full Specifications & Features
Full Specifications & Features
- Lens Compatibility
- Sony A-mount lenses, operation with Minolta/Konica Minolta lenses confirmed
- Lens Mount
- Sony A-mount
- Aspect Ratio
- Number Of Pixels (Effective)
- Approx. 42.4 megapixels
- Number of Pixels (total)
- Approx. 43.6 megapixels
- Sensor Type
- 35mm full frame (35.9x24.0mm), Exmor R CMOS sensor
- Anti-Dust System
Recording (still images)
- Image Size (pixels) [16:9]
- 35mm full frame L: 7952 x 4472 (36M), M: 5168 x 2912 (15M), S: 3984 x 2240 (8.9M), APS-C L: 5168 x 2912 (15M), M: 3984 x 2240 (8.9M), S: 2592 x 1456 (3.8M)
- Image Size (pixels) [Sweep Panorama]
- Wide: horizontal 12,416 x 1,856 (23M), vertical 5,536 x 2,160 (12M), Standard: horizontal 8,192 x 1,856 (15M), vertical 3,872 x 2,160 (8.4M)
- Picture Effect
- 8 types: Toy Camera (Normal/Cool/Warm/Green/Magenta), Pop colour, Posterization (B/W, colour), Retro Photo, Soft High-key , Partial colour (R/G/B/Y), High Contrast Monochrome, Rich-tone Monochrome,
- Creative Style
- Standard, Vivid, Neutral, Clear, Deep, Light, Portrait, Landscape, Sunset, Night Scene, Autumn leaves, Black & White, Sepia, Style Box (1-6), (Contrast (-3 to +3 steps), Saturation (-3 to +3 steps), Sharpness (-3 to +3 steps) ), Yes (Off / PP1-PP9) Parameters: Black level, Gamma (Movie, Still, Cine1-4, ITU709, ITU709 [800%], S-Log2, S-Log3), Black Gamma, Knee, Color Mode, Saturation, Color Phase, Color Depth, Detail, Copy, Reset
- Dynamic Range Functions
- Off, Dynamic Range Optimizer (Auto/Level (1-5) ), Auto High Dynamic Range (Auto Exposure Difference, Exposure Difference Level (1-6 EV, 1.0 EV step) )
- Colour Space
- sRGB Standard (with sYCC gamut) and Adobe RGB Standard compatible with TRILUMINOS colour
- 14bit RAW
- 14bit RAW
- Uncompressed RAW
- Recording Format
- XAVCS, AVCHD format Ver. 2.0 compliant, MP4
- Colour Space
- xvYCC Standard (x.v.colour when connected via HDMI cable) compatible with TRILUMINOS colour
- Picture Effect
- Toy Camera (Normal/Cool/Warm/Green/Magenta), Pop colour, Posterization (colour), Posterization (B/W), Retro Photo, Soft High-key, Partial colour (R/G/B/Y), High Contrast Monochrome
- Creative Style
- Standard, Vivid, Neutral, Clear, Deep, Light, Portrait, Landscape, Sunset, Night Scene, Autumn leaves, Black & White, Sepia,Style Box (1-6), (Contrast (-3 to +3 steps), Saturation (-3 to +3 steps), Sharpness (-3 to +3 steps) )
- Picture Profile
- Yes (Off/PP1-PP9) Parameters: Black level, Gamma (movie, Still, Cine1-4, ITU709, ITU709 [800%], S-Log2, S-Log3), Black Gamma, Knee, colour Mode, Saturation, colour Phase, colour Depth, Detail, Copy, Reset
- Image Size (Pixels), NTSC
- [XAVC S 4K] 3840 x 2160 (30p, 100M), 3840 x 2160 (24p, 100M), 3840 x 2160 (30p, 60M), 3840 x 2160 (24p, 60M), [XAVC S HD] 1920 x 1080 (120p, 100M), 1920 x 1080 (120p, 60M), 1920 x 1080 (60p, 50M), 1920 x 1080 (30p, 50M), 1920 x 1080 (24p, 50M), [AVCHD] 1920 x 1080(60p, 28M, PS), 1920 x 1080(60i, 24M, FX), 1920 x 1080(60i, 17M, FH), 1920 x 1080(24p, 24M, FX), 1920 x 1080(24p, 17M, FH), [AVC MP4] 1920 x 1080(60p, 28M), 1920 x 1080(30p, 16M), 1280 x 720(30p, 6M)
- Image Size (pixels), PAL
- [XAVC S 4K] 3840 x 2160 (25p, 100M), 3840 x 2160 (25p, 60M), [XAVC S HD] 1920 x 1080 (100p, 100M), 1920 x 1080 (100p, 60M), 1920 x 1080 (50p, 50M), 1920 x 1080 (25p, 50M), [AVCHD] 1920 x 1080(50p, 28M, PS), 1920 x 1080(50i, 24M, FX), 1920 x 1080(50i, 17M, FH), 1920 x 1080(25p, 24M, FX), 1920 x 1080(25p, 17M, FH), [AVC MP4] 1920 x 1080(50p, 28M), 1920 x 1080(25p, 16M), 1280 x 720(25p, 6M)
- SLOW & QUICK MOTION (SHOOTING FRAME RATE)
- NTSC mode: 1fps,2fps,4fps,8fps,15fps,30fps,60fps,120fps, PAL mode: 1fps,2fps,3fps,6fps,12fps,25fps,50fps,100fps
- SLOW & QUICK MOTION (RECORDING FRAME RATE & IMAGE SIZE)
- NTSC mode: 1920x1080 (60p, 30p, 24p), PAL mode: 1920x1080 (50p, 25p)
- Movie Functions
- Audio Level Display, Audio Rec Level, PAL/NTSC Selector, Dual Video REC, TC/UB (TC Preset/UB Preset/TC Format/TC Run/TC Make/UB Time Rec), AF Tracking Duration, Auto Slow Shutter, REC Control, Gamma Display Assist
- HDMI Output
- 3840 x 2160 (25p), 1920 x 1080 (50p), 1920 x 1080 (50i), 1920 x 1080 (24p), 1920 x 1080 (60p), 1920 x 1080 (60i), 3840 x 2160 (30p), 3840 x 2160 (24p), YCbCr 4: 2: 2 8bit/RGB 8bit
- Clean HDMI output
- Yes (On/Off)
- Location information Link from smartphone
- Memory Stick PRO Duo, Memory Stick PRO-HG Duo, Memory Stick Micro (M2), SD memory card, SDHC memory card (UHS-I compliant), SDXC memory card (UHS-I compliant), Micro SD memory card, Micro SDHC memory card, Micro SDXC memory card
- Memory Card Slot
- SLOT1: Multi-slot for Memory Stick PRO Duo and SD cards, SLOT2: Slot for SD cards
- Noise Reduction
- Long exposure NR: On/Off, available at shutter speeds longer than 1 s, High ISO NR: Normal/Low/Off
- Multi Frame NR
- White Balance Modes
, Warm White/Cool White/Day White/Daylight /Flash/colour temperature 2500 to 9900K , colour filter G7 to M7, A7 to B7 /Custom 1/2/3 /Custom Set/Underwater
- AWB Micro Adjustment
- Yes (G7 to M7, 57-step) (A7 to B7, 29-step)
- Priority Set in AWB
- 3 frames, H/L selectable
- Focus Type
- TTL Phase-detection AF
- Focus Sensor
- Detector 1: CCD line sensors, Detector 2: Focal Plane Phase Detection sensors
- Focus Point
- Detection sensor 1: 79 points (15 cross-type points, F2.8- sensitive at the center point), Detection sensor 2: 399 points (323 selectable points, 79, hybrid-cross auto focus points*)* When Hybrid Phase Detection AF is activated
- Focus Sensitivity Range
- Detector 1: Center area EV -4 to 18 (at ISO 100 equivalent, with F2.8 lens attached)
- Focus Mode
- Single-shot AF (AF-S), Continuous AF (AF-C), Automatic AF (AF-A), Direct Manual Focus, Manual focus
- Focus Area
- Wide/Zone/Center/Flexible Spot/Expanded Flexible Spot/Lock-On AF (Wide/Zone/Center/Flexible Spot/Expanded Flexible Spot)
- Other Features
- Eye-start AF, Lock-on AF, Eye AF, AF micro adjustment, Predictive control (AF-A, AF-C), Focus lock, AF On
- AF Illuminator
- Metering Sensor
- Exmor R CMOS sensor
- Metering Sensitivity
- EV-2 to EV17 (at ISO100 equivalent with F1.4 lens attached)
- Metering Mode
- Multi-segment, Center-weighted, Spot (Standard/Large), Entire Screen Avg. Highlight
- Exposure Compensation
- +/-5.0 EV (1/3EV, 1/2EV steps selectable)
- Exposure Bracketing
- Bracket: Cont., Bracket: Single, 3/5/9 frames selectable. With 3 or 5 frames, in 1/3, 1/2, 2/3, 1.0, 2.0, or 3.0 EV increments, with 9 frames, in 1/3, 1/2, 2/3, or 1.0 EV increments.
- AE Lock
- Available with AE lock button. AE is also locked when focus is locked in multi-segment metering mode. (AEL w/shutter (Auto/On/Off) is supported)
- Exposure Modes
- AUTO (iAuto), Programmed AE (P), Aperture priority (A), Shutter-speed priority (S), Manual (M), Memory recall (MR1/2/3), Sweep Panorama, Movie/slow-motion and quick-motion (Programmed AE (P), Aperture priority (A) /Shutter-speed priority (S) /Manual (M) selectable)
- ISO Sensitivity
- Still images: ISO 100-25600 (ISO numbers up from ISO 50 to ISO 102400 can be set as expanded ISO range.), AUTO (ISO 100-6400, selectable lower limit and upper limit), Movies: ISO 100-25600 equivalent, AUTO (ISO 100-6400, selectable lower limit and upper limit)
- Anti-flicker Shoot.
- Metering Type
- 1200-zone evaluative metering
- Viewfinder Type
- 1.3 cm (0.5 type) electronic viewfinder, XGA OLED
- Number of Dots
- 2 359 296 dots
- Brightness Control (Viewfinder)
- Auto/Manual (5 steps between -2 and +2)
- Color Temperature Control
- Manual (5 steps)
- Field Coverage
- approx. 0.78 x (with 50mm lens at infinity, -1m-1)
- Dioptre Adjustment
- -4.0 to +3.0m-1
- Eye Point
- Approx. 23mm from the eyepiece lens, 18.5mm from the eyepiece frame at -1m-1(CIPA Standard)
- Display Contents
- Graphic Display / Display All Info./ No Disp. Info. / Digital level gauge / Histogram
- Monitor Type
- 7.5 cm (3.0-type) type TFT
- Number of Dots
- 1,228,800 dots
- Touch Panel
- Brightness Control
- Auto, Manual (5 steps between -2 and +2), Sunny Weather
- Adjustable Angle
- Tilt angle: 134 degrees upward and 180 degrees downward. Rotation angle: 180 degrees clockwise and 90 degrees counterclockwise.
- Display Selecter (Finder/LCD)
- Yes (Auto/Manual)
- Real-time Image Adjustment Display (LCD)
- Quick Navi
- Focus Magnifier
- APS-C: 5.1x, 10.1x), Yes (35mm full frame: 7.8x, 15.5x
- (selectable level + range or lower limit as custom setting), Yes
- Peaking MF
- Yes (Level setting: High/Mid/Low/Off, colour: White/Red/Yellow)
- WhiteMagic, Grid Line(Rule of 3rds Grid/Square Grid/Diag. + Square Grid/Off), Movie Marker(Center/Aspect/Safety Zone/Guideframe)
- Display Content
- Graphic Display / Display All Info./ No Disp. Info. / Digital level gauge / Histogram, Graphic Display / Display All Info./ No Disp. Info. / Digital level gauge/ Histogram / Shooting information for viewfinder mode
- Top Panel
- PlayMemories Camera Apps™
- Clear Image Zoom
- APS-C: L: approx. 2x, M: approx. 2.6x, S: approx. 4x, Movies:Approx. 2x, Still images: 35mm full frame: L: approx. 2x, M: approx. 3.1x, S: approx. 4x
- Digital Zoom
- Smart zoom (Still images): 35mm full frame: M: approx. 1.5x, S: approx. 2x, APS-C: M: approx. 1.3x, S: approx. 2x, Digital zoom (Still images): 35mm full frame: L: approx. 4x, M: approx. 6.2x, S: approx. 8x, APS-C: L: approx. 4x, M: approx. 5.2x, S: approx. 8x, Digital zoom (movie): 35mm full frame: approx. 4x, APS-C: approx. 4x
- Face Detection
- Modes: On/On (Regist. Faces)/Off, Face selection
- ISO AUTO Min. SS, Bright Monitoring, Copyright, Set File Name, Help guide, Area Setting, Shop Front Mode, Video Light Mode, Smart Teleconverter(approx.1.4 x / 2x)
- Eye-Fi ready
- Electronically-controlled, vertical-traverse, focal-plane type
- Shutter Speed
- PAL mode: Still images:1/8000 to 30 sec, Bulb, Movies: 1/8000 to 1/4(1/3 steps) up to 1/50 in AUTO mode (up to 1/25 in Auto slow shutter mode), NTSC mode: Still images:1/8000 to 30 sec, Bulb, Movies: 1/8000 to 1/4(1/3 steps) up to 1/60 in AUTO mode (up to 1/30 in Auto slow shutter mode)
- Flash Sync. Speed
- 1/250 s
- Electronic Front Curtain Shutter
- Yes (ON/OFF)
- Image Sensor-Shift mechanism with 5-axis compensation
- Compensation Effect
- 4.5 steps (based on CIPA Standard. Pitch/yaw shake only. With SAL 135F18Z lens mounted. Long exposure NR off.)
- ADI, Pre-flash TTL
- Flash Compensation
- +/- 3.0 EV (switchable between 1/3 and 1/2 EV steps)
- Flash Bracketing
- 3/5/9 frames selectable. With 3 or 5 frames, in 1/3, 1/2, 2/3, 1.0, 2.0, 3.0 EV increments, with 9 frames, in 1/3, 1/2, 2/3, 1.0 EV increments.
- Flash Modes
- Flash off, Autoflash, Fill-flash, Slow Sync. Red-eye reduction (on/off selectable), Rear Sync. Hi-speed sync, Wireless
- External Flash Compatibility
- Sony α System Flash compatible with Multi Interface Shoe, attach the shoe adaptor (ADP-MAA, sold separately) for flash compatible with Auto-lock accessory shoe, Compatible with Sony Radio-controlled Lighting System
- FE Level Lock
- Drive Modes
- Single Shooting, Continuous shooting (Hi+/Hi/Mid/Lo selectable), Self-timer (10/5/2 sec delay selectable), Self-timer (Cont.) (with 10/5/2 sec delay 3/5 frames selectable), Bracket: Cont., Bracket: Single, White Balance bracket, DRO bracket
- Continuous Drive Speed (approx. max.)
- Continuous shooting: Hi+: 12 fps, Hi: 8 fps, Mid: 6 fps, Lo: 4 fps
- No. of recordable frames (approx.)
- [Continuous shooting: Hi+] Extra fine: 60 images/Fine: 63 images/Standard: 64 images/RAW & JPEG: 54 images/RAW: 54 images/RAW (Uncompressed) & JPEG: 24 images/RAW (Uncompressed): 25 images, [Continuous shooting: Hi] Extra fine: 65 images/Fine: 71 images/Standard: 74 images/RAW & JPEG: 56 images/RAW: 57 images/RAW(Uncompressed) & JPEG: 25 images/RAW(Uncompressed): 26 images
- Photo Capture
- Single (with or without shooting information Y RGB histogram & highlight/shadow warning), 9/25-frame index view, Enlarged display mode (L: 24.9x, M: 16.2x, S: 12.5x, Panorama (Standard): 25.6x, Panorama (Wide): 38.8x), Auto Review (10/5/2 sec,Off), Image orientation (Auto/Manual/Off selectable), Slideshow, Panorama scrolling, Folder selection (Date/Still/MP4/AVCHD/XAVCS HD/XAVCS 4K), Forward/Rewind (movie), Delete, Protect
- PC Interface
- Mass-storage, MTP, PC remote
- Multi / Micro USB Terminal
- Yes (NFC forum Type 3 Tag compatible) One-touch remote, One-touch sharing
- Wireless LAN (Built-In)
- Wi-Fi Compatible, IEEE 802.11b/g/n (2.4GHz band), View on Smartphone, Send to Computer, View on TV
- HD Output
- HDMI micro connector (Type-D), BRAVIA Sync (Control for HDMI), PhotoTV HD, 4K movie output/4K still image PB
- Yes (Bluetooth Standard Ver. 4.1 (2.4GHz band) )
- Multi Interface Shoe
- Mic Terminal
- Yes (3.5 mm Stereo minijack)
- DC IN Terminal
- Sync Terminal
- Remote Control(Wired)
- Remote Control(Wireless)
- Yes (Wi-Fi, Infrared)
- Headphone Terminal
- Yes (3.5 mm Stereo minijack)
- Vertical Grip Connector
- PC Remote
- Compatible Standards
- Exif Print, Print Image Matching III, DPOF setting
- Custome key settings, programmable setting
- Memory Function
- Yes (Body 3 sets/memory card 4 sets)
- Peripheral Shading, Chromatic Aberration, Distortion
- Supplied Battery
- One rechargeable battery pack NP-FM500H
- Battery Life (Still Images)
- Approx. 390 shots (Viewfinder) /approx. 490 shots (LCD monitor) (CIPA Standard)
- Battery Life (Movie, actual recording)
- (CIPA Standard), Approx. 85 min (Viewfinder) /Approx. 85 min (LCD monitor)
- Battery Life (Movie, continuous recording)
- (CIPA Standard), Approx. 135 min (Viewfinder) /Approx. 135 min (LCD monitor)
- Internal Battery Charge
- External Power
- AC Adaptor AC-PW10AM (sold separately)
Size & Weight
- Weight (with battery and memory card included)
- Approx. 849 g;approx. 1 lb. 13.9 oz.
- Dimensions (W x H x D)
- Approx. 142.6 mm x 104.2 mm x 76.1 mm;approx. 5 5/8 inches x 4 1/8 inches x 3 inches
- Built-in stereo microphone or XLR-K2M/XLR-K1M/ECM-XYST1M (sold separately)
- Built-in, monaural
- Operating Temperature
- 0 - 40℃/32 - 104℉
What's In The Box
- Shoulder strap
- Body cap
- Accessory shoe cap
- Eyepiece cup
- Micro USB cable
- Battery Charger BC-VM10A
- Rechargeable Battery NP-FM500H
42.4-megapixel back-illuminated full-frame CMOS sensor
Boasting its approx. 42.4 effective megapixel resolution, α99 II has a 35mm full-frame CMOS image sensor with back-illuminated structure, widely expanded sensitivity range, and extra-low noise performance. It also has no optical low-pass filter that can compromise sharpness, so fine clarity and detail extend from edge to edge of every frame.
High-speed BIONZ X™ image processing engine and front-end LSI
With detail reproduction technology to capture the essence of realism, diffraction-reducing technology to maintain clarity even at smaller apertures, and area-specific noise reduction to lower noise adaptively and reproduce greater detail, the BIONZ X image processing engine finely tunes the image sensor's effective 42.4-megapixel (approx.) data for truer, clearer depiction. α99 II is supported by a new front-end LSI to boost image data handling.
Brilliant AF and AE tracking even at 12fps
Track your subject regardless of how it moves. Revolutionary Hybrid Phase Detection AF System can capture even quick imminent movements — thanks to dense AF point coverage over a wide area and accelerated readout by the new image sensor for high-efficiency processing of vast amounts of phase-detection information. Through this sophisticated AF system — and faster shutter action due to a newly developed charge unit in the shutter mechanism — you can shoot up to 12fps continuously with steadfast AF and AE tracking, allowing you to catch decisive moments in sharp detail at the proper focus and exposure.
8fps live-view continuous shooting
The camera achieves continuous shooting of up to 8fps for live-view shooting, using an improved display algorithm for OLED Tru-Finder and LCD monitor. Minimised display time lag lets you easily keep tracking a subject in motion.
Flicker from fluorescent and other artificial lighting is automatically detected and the shutter is timed to minimise its effect on still images. This suppresses exposure and colour anomalies that can occur at the top and bottom of images shot at high shutter speeds, as well as exposure and colour inconsistency between continuous shots. You can take images under indoor lighting with confidence.
Hybrid Phase Detection AF System
α99 II has an AF sensor with 79-point phase-detection and an image sensor with the world’s largest array of 399 focal-plane phase-detection AF points. Sony’s original Translucent Mirror Technology allows light to reach the dedicated AF sensor and the image sensor simultaneously, so both phase-detection AF systems are always active. The AF algorithm has also been revised to support the Hybrid Phase Detection AF System. Its broad coverage and high density enable higher AF speed and precision as well as notably improved tracking performance.
79 Hybrid Cross points
Discover breakthrough autofocusing and tracking reliability. Sony’s Hybrid Phase Detection AF System provides a dedicated AF sensor with phase-detection AF points (79 including 15 cross points) for horizontal detection. This AF point area is entirely covered by the 399-point focal-plane phase-detection AF sensor for vertical detection, so all 79 AF points can function as selectable Hybrid Cross points. By spreading points densely over an area and fine-tuning the balance between responsiveness and stability, Sony optimises subject tracking to stay locked on almost any type of subject without being affected by subject patterns. Moreover, the very central AF point also functions as an F2.8-sensitive sensor that supports lenses as bright as a minimum F-value of 2.8 or lower.
Precision AF effective down to EV-4 brightness
Low-light AF detection down to EV-4 (central focus point) has been achieved. The precision AF system will function properly even when shooting dimly lit scenes at high ISO. This opens dramatic new possibilities in low-light and night shooting.
Body-integrated 5-axis image stabilisation
This all-direction stabilisation system is fine-tuned for high-resolution image sensors to compensate accurately for five types of camera shake that can compromise handheld shooting of α99 II 42.4MP images. Designed for A-mount models, the body-integrated system offers extremely high performance in both stills and movies, whether you're shooting at longer focal lengths, in close-ups, or at night. Real-time effects can be monitored via live view. Camera shake compensation is equivalent to using a 4.5-step faster shutter speed, allowing you to take advantage of a wider range of shutter speeds. 1: Yaw 2: Roll 3:Pitch
8% smaller than the α99, with improved ergonomics
α99 II flagship is truly born anew — renewed inside and outside. For instance, it’s 8% smaller than the original α99, with a redesigned, more compact image stabilisation system and other enhancements that reflect an overall revision and rethink of the body’s layout and construction. It also has a refined grip and numerous upgrades for improved hold, optimised operation, and more manageable dimensions. You’ll enjoy new ergonomics in shooting action.
Support for 14-bit RAW format
For RAW recording, 14-bit RAW output and 16-bit image processing help preserve maximum detail and produce images of the highest quality with rich tonal gradations. The 14-bit RAW (Sony ARW) format ensures optimal quality for later image adjustment (via Image Data Converter or other software). 1: Image Sensor 2: Newly developed high-speed front-end LSI 3: 16-bit image processing
Focus/release priority setup for AF-C/AF-S
Focus or release priority can be independently set for the AF-S (Single-shot AF) and AF-C (Continuous AF) modes. Moreover, additional Balance setting provides the best balance between focus and release priority available for the AF-C mode. Optimum focus/release operation can be selected for the scene being shot, so you have the best focus for your shooting needs.
Expand Flexible Spot
Using the Expand Flexible Spot function, adjacent focus points will be automatically selected if the subject moves away from the selected focus point, thus keeping the subject in perfect focus. When the focus mode is set to Expand Flexible Spot or Flexible Spot and you want to quickly select a desired focus area, the number of points used in the focus area can be reduced. You can set Autofocus parameters to either spot area, linking location and size to the focus area.
α99 II brings you Eye AF to capture intriguing facial expressions. It automatically focuses on and even tracks focus on a subject’s eye, as the face moves or turns to the side, extending your freedom to frame a great shot.
Tough magnesium alloy body
Designed for solid reliability and steady handling, the camera body is built to withstand the rigors of shooting in the field. Its internal structure and top, front, and rear covers are all made of strong, rigid magnesium alloy.
Reliable dust and moisture resistant design
Enjoy carefree shooting in tough environments, with comprehensive dust and moisture resistance measures that help prevent water and dust from entering the body. These measures include sealing around the buttons and dials, as well as media jack cover and enclosure edges featuring tongue-and-groove joints for double protection to tightly interlock panels and components.
Anti-dust measure keeps off dust and dirt
A special coating prevents dust and dirt from settling on the image sensor surface where it can become difficult remove through changes in humidity and temperature, while at the same time making settled dust easier to remove.
Assignable Front Multi Controller
You can see how the camera has evolved by looking at one of its convenient control features. Now, the Silent Multi Controller introduced in the original α99 not only allows any one of assigned settings (aperture, shutter speed, ISO, exposure compensation, AF area, AF mode, and other settings for stills and movies), but also features a click-stop ON/OFF switch. When ON, the preferred setting for stills, the control clicks as it is operated, providing a tactile indication of how far it has been rotated. When OFF, the control turns smoothly and quietly, which is the preferred mode for movie recording.
Selectable storage for remote shooting
Choose convenient selectable still image data storage destinations for remote shooting. While your camera is still tethered to a computer in remote camera control, you can choose whether still images are stored in the camera as well as on the computer so they can be checked visually without having to leave the camera position. You also have selectable storage format in RAW+J mode. You can transfer only JPEG files to the computer, rather than transferring both JPEG and RAW files to reduce data volume, allowing you to check transferred images almost immediately.
Location data acquisition via Bluetooth
Use Location Information Link to make the most of your camera anywhere you go together. After the camera has been paired to the Imaging Edge Mobile app installed on a compatible mobile phone or tablet device, it can acquire location data from the mobile device and record that data with still images. The acquired location data can also be used to correct the camera’s date/time and location settings.
New Highlight and Average metering modes
In addition to the existing multi, centre weighted, and spot metering modes, the α99 II features a Highlight mode that detects the brightest area in the frame to avoid blown highlights, and an Average mode that can provide stable auto exposure through composition changes.
Exposure Standard Adjustment
The standard exposure value can be adjusted from -1 to +1 stop in 1/6-stop increments. This setting can be made separately for each metering mode. These minute changes can make a significant difference in capturing and creating memorable images.
Priority Set in AWB
When white balance is set to Auto and incandescent lamps or similar are the light source, the colour tone priority can be set to [Standard], [Ambience], or [White]. [Ambience] produces a warm tone, while [White] priority produces accurate white reproduction.
ISO auto minimum shutter speed
Prevent blur in a shot of a moving subject by setting a shutter speed at which ISO sensitivity starts changing when ISO AUTO (while in P or A mode) is selected.
Custom button assignments for instant function recall
Set up your camera for peak performance and instant ability to capture unique moments. Custom button assignments let you customise the camera interface to perfectly match your individual shooting preferences. The AEL button, ISO button, AF/MF button, custom key, and preview button can all be reassigned to select functions of your choosing. Up to 65 functions can be assigned, including “APS-C/Super 35mm” and “Live View,” so that commonly used functions are just a button press away.
Higher-resolution 4K movie recording
Thanks to full pixel readout without pixel binning, 4K movie recording in the Super 35mm format exhibits more detail-rich superior clarity than typical 4K movies since Super 35mm collects approximately 1.8 times as much information as needed for 4K movie output. Also, the XAVC S format allows 4K recording at maximum bitrate of 100Mbps to capture fine details of movement in movies.
S-Gamut and S-Log shooting
S-Gamut and S-Log shooting give you flexibility to make more expressive movies by performing colour grading in post-production. S-Log3 and S-Log2 gamma curves feature wide dynamic range (up to 1300%) to minimise blown highlights and black crush. α99 II even offers impressive 14-stop latitude in S-Log3 gamma setting, and also supports S-Gamut, S-Gamut3, and S-Gamut3.Cine colour space from Sony.
Slow and quick motion
Varying the pace of movie footage enhances viewing interest and enjoyment. New “S&Q” mode supports slow motion and quick motion effects, with frame rates from 1fps to 120fps (100fps) selectable in eight steps for up to 60x (50x) quick motion and 5x (4x) slow motion, recordable at full-HD (50Mbps) quality. You can “play with time” by compressing the movement of the sun and clouds into a short sequence or extending a peaceful moment to give it a greater sense of relaxation. Then accent ordinary footage with these interludes to add comic or dramatic emphasis.
Movie functions for a professional workflow
Whether you’re a commercial photographer or an advanced enthusiast, α99 II is ready to show professional performance. Numerous features aimed specifically at pro movie production workflow are included. In addition to features in the previous model, such as picture profiles, time code, and clean HDMI output, this model also offers gamma assist for real-time S-Log monitoring, a zebra mode for easier exposure adjustment, and other evolved functions that provide solid support for expert movie production.
Clean HDMI output
Take advantage of 4K and Full HD support for uncompressed movie output to an external recorder or monitor. The image can also be recorded in the camera even while signals are output using this function. The included cable protector guards jacks and prevents cables from disengaging accidentally, so you can shoot with greater assurance.
Works with iMovie and Final Cut Pro X
This product is compatible with Final Cut Pro X and iMovie.
Imaging Edge™ Remote, Viewer, and Edit
Elevate your photography with Imaging Edge desktop applications. Use "Remote" to control and monitor shooting live on your PC screen; "Viewer" to quickly preview, rate, and select photos from large image libraries; and "Edit" to develop RAW data into high-quality photos for delivery. Get the best from Sony RAW files, and manage your productions more efficiently.
Capture One (for Sony)
Capture One Express (for Sony) is free award-winning image editing software that provides high-end image quality RAW development, easy management of your image files, and powerful editing tools. Capture One Pro (for Sony) is an optional purchase, for even more editing tools and tethered shooting capability.