An issue has been identified by Microsoft that, after installing Windows Updates, a computer displays a Configuring updates: stage 3 of 3. 0% complete message, reboots, comes back to that message again, and repeats the cycle. This problem occurs when Windows Update is attempting to install update 937287.
Follow this procedure to resolve the error.
- Remove all connected peripheral devices from the computer.
- Press and hold the power button until the computer completely shuts down.
- Unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.
- Leave the computer without any power for at least 30 seconds.
- Reconnect the computer to the power supply and then turn it back on.
- Allow the computer to start normally.
IMPORTANT: Once the computer has completely started into the operating system, Windows Updates should automatically finish installing the update. If the update again fails to install completely, restart the computer in Safe Mode and use the System Restore feature to return the computer to a time before the issue started.
- To avoid this issue, obtain and install update 937287 from the Microsoft® Download Center separately from all other updates on the Windows Update® site. Install the update that applies to your version of Windows Vista® so that you can successfully install future updates.
- For more information about this error, refer to the Microsoft KB Article ID 949358.