The Reader Digital Book is frozen or locked up, screen is blank, will not turn on, no books display or the page will not turn.
Due to the nature of the E Ink® electronic display technology, the LCD can retain an image without having power. Turning the page is the only time power is consumed. If the Reader™ Digital Book battery power is completely drained, the LCD will retain the last image that was displayed, thus making it appear as if the Reader is frozen. In some instances it will not have enough power to perform other operations such as turning on or off.
NOTE: Because each of these steps represents a possible solution to this issue, check the Reader device status after completing each step.
IMPORTANT: Some of the steps below refer to an Indicator light. The Indicator light on the Reader™ Wi-Fi® is integrated with the power button and is located on the right edge of the button. For other models, it is next to the power switch.
- Download and install the latest firmware version. Downloads are posted on your model support page.
- Press and hold the Power button for more than 3 seconds to completely turn off the Reader, then turn it back on.
- If you are using a Reader Wi-Fi, make sure that you are not in Zoom Mode .
- Connect the Reader device to a USB connection or AC adapter (an optional accessory for some models available at the Sony Style® store ). Allow approximately 5 min for it to turn on. If it does not turn on automatically, slide (or press for some models) the POWER switch again. If it still does not turn on, continue with the rest of this procedure.
- Perform a soft reset .
- After the RESET button has been pressed, slide (or press for some models) the POWER switch to activate the Reader device again. If the Indicator light next to the power button on the Reader device is yellow, the unit is attempting to start up. If this is the case, allow it a few moments to complete startup.
- If startup did not complete, connect the Reader device to the computer or optional AC adapter and perform a soft reset again.
- Disconnect the Reader device from the computer (if applicable) and then slide (or press for some models) the POWER switch to activate the Reader device. Check if the Indicator light next to the power switch on the Reader device is yellow (indicating it is turning on) and if the unit is responding.
- If the unit is still frozen, connect it again to the computer or AC adapter and while connected, check if the Indicator light next to the power switch on the Reader device is red. If this light is red, allow the Reader device to charge for one hour so there is sufficient charge for troubleshooting.
Please read the Important notes below before you charge your Reader device.
- If you charge via a USB connection and leave your Reader Digital Book connected to the computer to charge and the computer goes into sleep or hibernation, charging will stop and the red charge indicator on the Reader will turn off. If left connected, your battery may begin to discharge. To avoid this, turn off any sleep or hibernation settings while charging or set your sleep or hibernation settings to come on after your Reader Digital Book has been charged and then disconnect it from the computer once charging has completed.
- When using the AC adapter (optional on some models) to charge your Reader device, the lightning bolt symbol that appears next to the battery icon [FIG. 1] on the display of your Reader device is an indication that it is connected to AC power and is charging the battery properly. If the lightning bolt symbol is not present, double check the AC Adapter to ensure that your Reader device is properly connected. This symbol does not appear while charging via a USB connection.
- It will take approximately 4 hours to achieve a full charge with a computer. It will take approximately 2 hours to achieve a full charge with the optional AC Adapter.
- If your Reader Digital Book is left connected to a powered USB hub while the computer is shut down, your battery may begin to discharge. Disconnect your Reader from the hub when the computer is not powered on.
- Always verify that your Reader is fully charged by disconnecting it from the computer and checking the battery indicator. The battery indicator will display 4 black bars when it is fully charged.
- Once the Reader device has sufficient charge, perform these troubleshooting steps again.
PRS-900 NOTE: If after trying the above steps, you are still having the problem, remove the battery for approximately 30 seconds and then reseat it.
- If after completing all the steps above, the unit is not responding but Starting up... is displayed on the screen, turn off your Reader device and perform a Hard Reset .
IMPORTANT: After doing a Hard Reset, it will be necessary to authorize your unit again.
- Under certain circumstances, moisture condensation can occur. Moisture condensation can be caused by moving the Reader device between temperature extremes or if the Reader device has come in direct contact with moisture. If you suspect moisture as the cause, allow the Reader device to sit for a few hours before attempting to turn it back on.
The troubleshooting steps listed above should resolve your issue. If you have completed all of the steps and the issue is not resolved, service may be required.  Go to Product Repair.