IMPORTANT: This article applies only to specific products and/or operating systems. Check the Applicable Products and Categories section of this article before starting these steps.
There are no system Recovery discs included with the computer. The recovery data required to return the computer to the original, factory-installed condition is included on a special partition of the hard drive. The following procedure can be used to create a set of Recovery Discs from that data, which can be used to restore the recovery partition and return the computer to the original, factory-installed condition in case this is ever necessary.
- The number of discs needed to create the set varies by model.
- Personal data is not backed up to Recovery discs.
- If the computer uses an external CD/DVD drive, ensure the drive is plugged in according to the instructions in the manual. Manuals are posted on your model support page.
- Close all open programs.
- Connect the AC adapter and do not interrupt power during the process.
- Click the Start button and then click All Programs.
- In the All Programs menu, click the VAIO Care folder and then click VAIO Care.
NOTE: If prompted for an administrator password or a User Account Control prompt is displayed, type the appropriate password, or click Yes.
- In the VAIO Care window, in the left pane, click Recovery & restore.
- Under Recovery & restore, click Recovery.
- In the right pane, click Create Recovery Media.
IMPORTANT: If the Create Recovery Media option is not available , you may be using a computer that does not have an internal optical drive, such as a netbook. To resolve the issue, connect an external optical drive and restart the VAIO Care™ software.
- In the Create Recovery Media window, click Next button.
- Insert a DVD or DVD-DL disc into the optical drive.
NOTE: The types of discs supported and the number of each required is displayed.
- Once the disc is recognized, in the Insert a blank disc and select the drive window, click the Next button.
- In the Proceed creating media window, click the Next button.
NOTE: Even though it takes longer, Sony recommends verifying that the recovery discs were created properly by checking the box next to Verify my disc was created correctly (slower).
- Click the Start button.
NOTE: A status window is displayed.
- Once the first disc has been created, remove it and label it properly.
NOTE: If only one disc is required, skip to step 16.
- Insert another disc and then click the Next button.
- Once the second disc has been created, remove it and label it properly.
- Click the OK button.