Before You Start
- The images below are examples of the location of the Subtitle or CC button on different remote controls.
- Check your product manual for model-specific information. Manuals are posted on your model support page.
Check Your Cable or Satellite Set-Top Box Menu
If you're using a cable or satellite set-top box connected to your TV with an HDMI® cable or a Y/Pb/Pr connection, you must turn on the Closed Captioning (CC) from the cable or satellite box menu, not on your TV. On your cable or satellite box, follow these steps to turn on CC:
- Select MENU.
- Select SETTINGS.
- Select Options.
- Select Preferences.
- Select TV Options.
- Select Captioning.
Check Your TV Menu
If you're watching TV programs without a cable or satellite set-top box, you can activate analog or digital Closed Captioning in your TV menu.
Turn on Analog Closed Caption
In your TV menu, you can set the Closed Captioning to CC1 on most captioning services. You can also try the following:
- Select CC2, CC3, or CC4
- Set the Closed Captioning options to CC Display: ON
- Set Analog CC: CC1.
Turn on Digital Closed Caption
Set Caption Vision to either Basic or Advanced. You can also try the following:
- Set the Closed Captioning options to Digital CC: CC1
- Set Digital CC Options: As broadcast.
Other Things to Consider
- Closed captioning may or may not work when viewing high-definition television (HDTV) programming because the broadcaster doesn't send captioning signal. After following the steps above, contact your signal provider for further assistance.
- Not all stations broadcast programs (including commercials) with closed captioning.
- There may be a delay before closed captioning appears when you change TV channels.
- TVs manufactured before July 1993 may not have closed captioning capability.
- If your device doesn't have a closed caption option, connect it to your TV with a composite or S-Video connection. Then, turn on the closed caption setting on the TV's menu.
- After adjusting the TV menu, you can use the HOME button on your remote control to turn on and off this feature.