You can connect USB devices to your Xperia® device using a USB OTG (On-The-Go) cable. A USB OTG cable is sometimes referred to as USB adapter cable or USB Host cable.
Examples of how you can use USB devices with your Xperia device:
- Back up files to a USB memory stick or an external hard drive.
- Play music and videos stored on a USB stick or an external hard drive on your Xperia device.
- Transfer photos or videos from your camera to your Xperia device (availability depends on the camera) - save storage space on the camera, or show the photos or videos on the Xperia device.
- Write documents, text messages, emails, tweets, or Facebook® updates using a computer keyboard.
- Play games using a gamepad, for example, a PS3™ or PS4™ controller or a joystick.
- Navigate your Xperia device using a mouse.
- Use an Ethernet connection to connect your Xperia device to the internet, for example, if the Wi-Fi connection is weak or unavailable.
What you need
- An Xperia device that supports the USB Host standard.
- Depending on your Xperia model, you will need to use a female Standard-A to male Micro-C or male Micro-B USB OTG cable.
- A file manager to access files if you want to transfer files. If there isn't a file manager pre-installed on your Xperia device, you can download one from the Google Play™ store.
What different USB Host features are there?
USB devices that you can connect to an Xperia phone or tablet are clustered into different groups or device classes.
- HID (Human Interface Device) = keyboards, mice, or gamepads
- USB mass storage = USB flash drives, memory card readers, digital cameras, or external drives
- Audio = USB speakers, USB microphones or USB audio DACs
- USB Hub = USB hubs
- USB Ethernet = connect to an Ethernet port using a USB-to-Ethernet adapter