How to replace the earpads on the WH-1000XM5 headphones
While it is possible to replace the WH-1000XM5 earpads yourself, we recommend that you have them replaced by an Authorized Service Center.  Go to Product Repair.
If you prefer to replace the earpads yourself, please follow these steps carefully to prevent damage to the product.
Before you start
To replace the earpads, you will need the following items which are sold separately:
- Replacement earpads
- Disassembling tool
If you do not already have these items, you can purchase them from our Authorized Parts Distributor.  Go to Parts and Accessories.
Step 1: Remove the earpad
The earpads are attached to the headphones' housing block by six claws. Three claws are on the top half of the housing block, and three claws are on the lower half. Following the directions below, you will need to carefully pull the earpad away from each claw to remove the earpad.
- Hold the headphones housing plate (the outer plastic piece surrounding the earpad) with one hand.
- With your other hand, feel around the inside perimeter of the earpad cushion to locate the six claws on the housing block. They are located clockwise at approximately the 10:00, 12:00, 2:00, 4:00, 6:00, and 8:00 o'clock locations on the earcup.
- Gently insert the disassembling tool (sold separately) in the space just behind the plastic earpad plate between the claws located at the 10:00 and 12:00 o'clock positions and gently pull it up and away from the earcup until you hear a click sound. (In effect, the tool will press into the inner fabric liner of the earpad, but as the inner fabric liner is flexible it should not tear if these instructions are followed.)
Note: Do not pull the earpad cushion portion of the earpad. This may cause damage to the earpad. If you use the disassembling tool, be careful not to damage the housing block.
- Carefully work around the earpad plate, repeating the above step a few more times in the spaces between adjacent claws, until you can carefully pull the entire earpad away from the six claws.
IMPORTANT: After the earpad is removed, do not touch the exposed driver. Doing so may cause the driver to be damaged.
Step 2: Install the new earpad
- Align the two pegs on the back of the earpad to the two small holes on the headphones housing block.
- Press the earpad to the housing block until you hear a clicking sound indicating that all six claws of the earpad are firmly attached to the hooks of the housing block.
- Insert a couple fingers into the inner lower side of the earpad and lift the earpad to the outer side to remove wrinkles.
- Do the same thing to each side of the earpad until all the wrinkles are removed.