Digital cameras and camcorders can transfer image and video content directly to a computer. There are multiple ways to transfer content including:
- USB cable connection
- i.Link™ cable connection (Mini-DV and Digital8™ camcorders)
- Removing Memory Stick™ or SD™ card media and connecting directly to the computer card reader
Note: Check the operation manuals of your device for media type and connection details.
If you want to transfer content from the camera or camcorder to your computer using a cable (such as a supplied USB cable), connect the device to your computer the with the supplied cable. In most cases you don't need a driver. Drivers are no longer needed due to operating system improvements.
Please check the following for more information:
Digital Tape Camcorders
- For Memory Stick/SD card media, you can import content by removing the media from the device and connecting it to a memory card reader on the computer. No special driver is required to import from the media cards.Note: Depending on the model, the Handycam Station (supplied accessory dock) has a USB output terminal.
- For movies recorded on tape, check the Videotape importing guide for instructions on how to capture movies to your computer from videotape.
All Other Digital Camcorders and Cameras
- It is not necessary to install a driver to be able to connect a device to the computer. After connecting the device, the computer will detect it and install the proper driver automatically.
- If you have a problem connecting your product through USB, refer to the article appropriate for your device:
- Additional information is available in the How to transfer pictures or movies to a computer article.