IMPORTANT: This article applies only to specific products and/or operating systems. Check Applicable Products and Categories for details.
Certain Alpha and DSC cameras will support live streaming through the HDMI® port.
Before you start
You will need the following items to setup live streaming
- HDMI to USB video capture device (not a Sony product)
- HDMI cable. The camera model (must have a HDMI Out port)and your video capture device will determine the type of HDMI cable needed for connectivity.
- USB cable
- A computer with streaming software installed
- The video capture device and software are not manufactured by Sony.
- Make sure that you have a HDMI to USB capture device and not a USB to HDMI adapter (for an external monitor).
Steps to setup live streaming
- Connect one end of the HDMI cable to the camera HDMI output and the other end of the cable to the HDMI input of the video capture device
- Connect the video capture device to the computer using the USB cable.
- Open the video/audio settings of the capture/streaming software on your computer.
- The software should recognize the capture device and therefore your camera as a webcam.
- You should then see the live stream from the camera on your computer.
- To provide better focusing, enable the following on the camera (if available):
- Face-Detection Auto-Focus: Navigate to AF Menu → Face/Eye AF Set → Face/Eye Prty in AF → On
- Continuous AF: Navigate to AF Menu → Focus Mode → Continuous AF
- Enable Movie Mode on the camera.
- High quality, continuous video streaming may cause the temperature inside the camera to rise and it may turn off automatically until it cools.
- Review the heat specifications, avoid streaming in direct sunlight, and turn the camera off when not in use.
- If your camera can record in XAVC S 4K and it has the Auto Power OFF Temp. setting, changing the setting from Standard to High will provide longer recording time.
- If you use an external microphone, then be sure to select the proper device in the audio settings of your computer.
- If the camera menu appears on the stream, then turn off the display: Navigate to HDMI Settings → HDMI Info. Display → Off
- If there are still face detection and focusing issues, then change the file format to HD (if available): Navigate to File Format → XAVC S HD