To restore the camera to its original factory settings, you can perform a settings reset. The process of resetting a camera back to the original factory settings depends on the camera model. Additionally, some models offer a reset of certain settings on the camera.
Before you start
- The process to reset or initialize a camera differs depending on the type and model of the camera, so it's important to check the operating guide. Manuals are posted on your model support page.
- Before following any steps, check the following:
- Be sure not to power off the camera while resetting is in progress.
- If you use a model that supports PlayMemories™ Camera Apps, applications downloaded to the product may be uninstalled when you perform Initialize or Setting Reset. To use the apps again, reinstall them.
- Some cameras with both a reset and initialize function allow you to keep movies and photos, depending on your operation.
- A reset or initialize function may not resolve the issue if an error code beginning with a C: or E: is displayed on the camera's LCD screen.
- If you are using a camcorder, refer to the How to reset or initialize a camcorder back to the original factory settings article.
Steps to reset or initialize the camera
Cameras with a RESET button
- Locate the RESET button on the camera.
Note: Only some models have a RESET button. Refer to the manual supplied with your camera to determine whether it has a RESET button or to identify the location of the RESET button.
- Turn on the camera.
- Using a pointed object (like a ballpoint pen), press and hold the RESET button for 2-3 seconds.
- Release the RESET button.
Cameras with the Initialize or RESET option(s) in the camera menu
- Depending on your camera:
- Select MENU → Settings → Initialize → OK.
- Select MENU → Setup → Initialize → Reset Default or Factory Reset
- Select MENU → Setup → Navigate to Setting Reset → Camera Settings Reset or Initialize
- The menu layout may differ for your camera, and some cameras allow resetting of different options, so check the operations manual.
- Cameras manufactured before 2000 may not have a Reset or Initialize button or options in the menu:
- If the camera has a built-in battery, holding the POWER button for up to 30 seconds may initialize or reset the camera.
- If the camera has removable batteries, follow these steps:
- Power off the camera.
- Remove the battery pack.
- Remove the button-sized lithium battery.
- Allow the camera to remain without power for 30 seconds.
- Reinsert the button-sized lithium battery.
- Reinsert the battery pack.
- Power on the camera.
If your camera is experiencing an issue and it is not resolved by performing the appropriate reset or initialization procedure above, service may be required.  Go to Product Repair.