IMPORTANT: This file is only for use with the models identified. Not all models are sold in all countries.
This information is for the following models:
About this download
Benefits and improvements
This utility installs the Memory Card File Rescue program which can be used to recover files that have been accidentally or unintentionally destroyed or deleted from Sony® Memory Card media or Sony Micro Vault® USB storage drives.
The Sony® File Rescue software now supports XAVC S (up to 4K), RAW image and MOV file formats, in addition to 3D movies and photos and full HD 60p video.
- Windows Vista®
- Windows Vista® 64-bit
- Windows® 10
- Windows® 10 64-bit
- Windows® 7
- Windows® 7 64-bit
- Windows® 8
- Windows® 8 64-bit
- Windows® 8.1
- Windows® 8.1 64-bit
- 16.90 MB
Before You Start
- The software download process requires authentication of the serial number and model number listed on your Micro Vault flash drive or Memory Card media. Please have your Micro Vault flash drive or Memory Card media available.
- During the installation of this file, be sure that you are logged in as the Administrator or as a user with Administrative rights.
- To ensure that no other program interferes with the installation, save all work and close all other programs. The Taskbar should be clear of applications before proceeding.
- It is highly recommended that you print out these instructions for use as a reference during the installation process.
Download & Install
- Operating System (manufacturer installed):
- Microsoft® Windows® 10
- Microsoft® Windows® 8.1
- Microsoft® Windows® 8
- Microsoft® Windows® 7
- Microsoft® Windows Vista®
- Computer: IBM PC/AT or compatible
- CPU: Pentium III 450 MHz or higher
- Hard disk drive space: 1 GB or more Note: Additional space is required to store recovered files.
- Memory: 64 MB or more
- Display: High Color (16 bit) or higher, 800 x 600 pixels or better
- The following systems are not supported:
- Operating Systems other than those indicated above
- Personally constructed PCs or operating systems
- An environment that is an upgrade of the original manufacturer-installed operating system
- Multi-boot environment
- Multi-monitor environment
- Macintosh® Operating System
Download and Installation Instructions
The software download process requires authentication of the serial number and model number listed on your Micro Vault flash drive or Memory Card media. Please have your Micro Vault flash drive or Memory Card media available.
- Click the Download Now button at the top of this page, or the MCFileRescue.exe link at the bottom of this page.
- At the Memory Card File Rescue download page, fill in the fields for the Model name and Serial number or downloading code. Note: Be sure to include the hyphen in the model name.
- Please complete the optional Questionnaire, and then click the Next button at the bottom of the page.
- At the Verification page, verify that the information is correct and then click the OK button to continue.
- At the Software Download page, click the Download button.
- In the File Download window click the Save button to download the MCFileRescue.exe file to a temporary or download directory (please note this directory for reference).
- Go to the directory where the file was downloaded and double-click the MCFileRescue.exe file to begin the installation.
- If a security window opens, click Run or Continue.
- At the Welcome to the InstallShield Wizard for Memory Card File Rescue screen, click the Next button.
- At the License Agreement dialog, read the agreement, then, if you agree, select I accept the terms of the license agreement, and then click Next button.
- At the Ready to Install the Program window, click Install.
- At the InstallShield Wizard Complete window, click the Finish button.
The installation of the Sony® Memory Card® File Rescue software is complete.
Questions & Answers
Memory Card File Rescue FAQ
- What type of files can be recovered? This software supports recovery of JPEG(DCF), MPEG-1, MP4(MPEG-4, MPEG-4 AVC, XAVC S), AVCHD(ver.2.0), AVCHD 3D, 3D photo (MPO), RAW image and MOV file formats, in addition to 3D movies and photos and full HD 60p video. Note: Recovery is not supported for files that are encrypted, game data, formatted, overwritten, or contain Digital Rights Management (DRM).
- Is there a restriction about the amount of files that can be recovered? Generally, no.
- Is the Memory Card File Rescue software free or do I have to pay for it? This software is free to download for Sony Micro Vault USB flash drive and Memory Card media owners.
- What type of Sony USB flash drives and Memory Card media can be used with the Memory Card File Rescue software? The software can be used on all Sony brand Memory Stick® media, SD Memory Cards, XQD™ Memory Cards, and USB Flash Drives except:
- Memory Stick Classic series (capacity up to 128 MB) Note: For Memory Stick Classic series please use this link.
- Memory Stick for AIBO® Robot
- Memory Stick ROM™ for electronic dictionaries or e-Book readers
- PSP® brand Memory Stick (Memory Stick PRO Duo™ or Memory Stick Micro™)
- Memory Stick Classic series (capacity up to 128 MB)
- What capacity of Sony USB flash drives and Memory Card media can be used with the Memory Card File Rescue software? The software can be used on supported Sony Micro Vault USB storage drives, Sony SD Memory Card media, and Sony Memory Stick media up to 2 TB using FAT12, FAT16, FAT32, or exFAT file systems.
- How do I recover file on read-only Memory Stick for AIBO robot and PSP brand Memory Stick PRO Duo media? It is not possible to recover files on the read-only Memory Stick for AIBO robot. For PSP brand Memory Stick PRO Duo, please contact the PlayStation® Support for more information.
- Can the Memory Card File Rescue software recover files on non-Sony USB flash drives or Memory Card media? The software is intended to be used only with Sony Micro Vault USB flash drives, SD Memory Card, and Memory Stick media.
- How long does it take to recover the file? It depends on the Micro Vault flash drive or Memory Card capacity and your computer environment. Please refer to the estimated time displayed while using the software. Note: Real operation times may be longer than the estimated time on computers with slow performance.
- Are file names reconstructed? Names of 8 characters or less are usually recovered. If a file name is not recovered, the file will automatically be named with a number beginning with 0000000.