Android TV™ software version are scheduled to have major updates. If the Android TV software is updated, the following various features are added or improved.
IMPORTANT: This article applies only to specific products and/or operating systems. Check Applicable Products and Categories for details.
- To update software, refer to this article on How to perform Firmware or Software Updates for the Android TV .
Screen design and usability enhancement
In some screens such as HOME, the screen design or usability is updated and easy to use.
- New design concept is introduced to the screen design such as the background image.
- HOME Menu
- The same app icon is not displayed in both Featured apps and Apps at the same time.
- Location of Inputs are moved to the bottom of the HOME screen.
- On changing the HOME screen information, see the following.
- Volume adjusting bar
The volume adjusting bar is moved to the bottom left of the screen making it easier to see the picture.
- Expansion of the built-in memory
Downloaded games and apps can be moved to a USB memory device or Hard Disk Drive (HDD) as an extended memory.
- When using a USB memory device or HDD as an extended memory, it will be initialized. Data can be saved in the USB memory device or HDD.
- Games and apps downloaded in the extended memory cannot be used anymore if the USB memory device or HDD is removed. But if inserted into the same TV, the games and apps can be used.
- This feature may not be available depending on the app.
- Displaying programs in each genre
When searching for TV programs, the programs are displayed by genre such as drama, sports, or music, etc. This will enable searching for programs easier to see. Programs can be displayed in each genre with the program check function and Genre program guide in the program guide application.
NOTE: This feature may not be available depending on the region.
To set-up the genre categories, see the following.
- New design of the Help menu
The Help menu displayed when the HELP button is pressed on the remote control is now more user-friendly. Information can be seen faster through illustrations and by category.
- The remote control differs depending on your region or model.
- Information displayed on the Help menu differs depending on your country or region.
- Integration of program indication for tuners and Streaming Channels
Programs received can be watched with the TV tuner and Streaming Channels programs from one input. If TV broadcast (Channels) is selected with the Streaming Channels installed, programs of the TV tuner and Streaming Channels can be switched seamlessly.
- Other changes
- For security purposes, licensing is necessary when using a USB device or microphone. If trying to use a device or microphone, the message for licensing is displayed on the screen.
- If you use your TV with a Logitech Harmony Hub, you can operate Internet of Things (IoT) devices such as lights, Blu-ray players, etc. via the push of a button on the Android TV’s remote. For further details, visit the Sony website.
NOTES: On applying the major software update.
- When performing the update, follow the procedure carefully.
- Perform the update on your own responsibility.
- After performing the update, the software cannot be reverted to the previous version.
- Some settings may be initialized by performing the update. In this case, perform the settings again.
- After performing the update, application updates may be required from Google Play Store, etc.
- After performing the update, applications for old OS versions may not work properly.