When attempting to load the Windows Vista® operating system, you may receive a Windows Error Recovery: Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. To fix this problem insert your windows installation disc and choose Repair your computer message.
IMPORTANT: This article applies only to specific products and/or operating systems. Check the Applicable Products and Categories section of this article before starting these steps.
To resolve the error, follow this procedure to perform a system restore using the VAIO Recovery Center.
- Close all open programs and turn off the computer.
- Disconnect all network connections.
- Disconnect all peripheral devices.
- Turn on the computer.
- When the VAIO screen is displayed, press the F8 key.
- At the Advanced Boot Options screen, ensure Repair Your Computer is selected and press the ENTER key.
- In the System Recovery Options window, under Select a keyboard layout, click the Next button.
- Under To access recovery options, next to User name, click the down arrow, and click to select an account with Administrator rights.
- Next to Password, type the appropriate password for this account.
- Click the OK button.
- Under Choose a recovery tool, click to select System Restore .
NOTES: This is a description of each option available in the VAIO Recovery Center.
- The Startup Repair option can automatically resolve certain issues that can prevent the operating system from starting.
- System Restore can return the computer to a previous configuration of the operating system when it was working properly.
- Windows Complete PC Restore will restore a previous backup of the computer created using the Windows Backup and Restore Center .
- The Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool can determine if any problems being experienced are caused by issues with the computer's memory.
- The option to open a Command Prompt can be used by advanced users and technical support personnel to perform troubleshooting on the hard drive or the operating system.
- Clicking VAIO Recovery Center will launch VAIO Recovery Center from the Recovery Disc.