The GPS feature may not acquire the location information in the following circumstances:
- The GPS feature is not turned on.
- The GPS signal reception is weak.
- No GPS signal is being received at all.
IMPORTANT: If model-specific information is required to complete any of the steps in this solution, refer to the operating instructions supplied with the product. Manuals are posted on your model support page.
Follow the steps below to troubleshoot this issue.
- Turn on the GPS feature; the GPS indicator should display in the camera LCD screen when the GPS feature is activated.
- If the GPS indicator indicates there is a weak signal or no signal at all, try using the camera in an open area.
IMPORTANT: Do not cover the GPS sensor with your finger when searching for GPS satellites or when triangulating. This decreases the sensitivity of the GPS sensor and triangulation may fail.
- Using the camera inside buildings, tunnels, or other areas that have overhead obstructions can interfere with the GPS signal.
- It may take several minutes to acquire the location information when using the GPS function for the first time, or after using it again after long intervals.
- In some cases where a GPS signal cannot be received, previously-triangulated location information may be used. Therefore, if a new GPS signal cannot be received for the location you are shooting, the images may potentially be recorded with incorrect GPS data.
- Even when the camera acquires information from satellites, triangulation may still take time or fail according to the time or place.
The troubleshooting steps listed above should resolve your issue. If you have completed all of the steps and the issue is not resolved, service may be required.
For all Sony products (EXCEPT VAIO computers): To send your product to a Sony facility to be repaired or to check the status of the a repair, visit our eService web site.
For VAIO Computer products: Please call 1-888-4SONYPC (476-6972) for service information for your product. To check the status of your VAIO product repair, have your phone number or Best Buy service number available and call 1-800-433-5778.