What is GPS assist data and how to import it into the camera
IMPORTANT: This article applies only to specific products and/or operating systems. Check Applicable Products and Categories for details.
GPS (Global Positioning Systems) assist data provides information about the location of GPS satellites. PlayMemories Home™ and software automatically transfers this information to your camera when appropriately connected to the internet. The camera can then find and lock onto the GPS signal faster.
Before you start
- Your computer must be connected to an active internet connection, and PlayMemories Home software must be installed on your computer to transfer the GPS assist data.
- PlayMemories Home supports the following operating systems:
- Microsoft® Windows® 8.1 / Windows 10 / Windows 11
- Apple® Mac® OS X® v10.10-10.11 / macOS® 10.12-10.13
Import GPS assist data
- The GPS assist data is only valid for approximately 30 days, after which it may be necessary to re-import the data.
- The current version of PlayMemories Home is supported on computers running Mac® OS X (10.7 and above).
When using the PlayMemories Home software:
- Turn on the computer.
- Turn on the camera.
- Connect the camera to the computer using the supplied USB cable.
- Start the PlayMemories Home software.
- In the PlayMemories Home window, click Tools.
- In the Tools menu, click GPS Support Tool.
- In the GPS Support Tool window, under Select a target to update, click to select the Removable Disk drive that represents the camera.
- Click the Update Now button.
You can import GPS assist data using PlayMemories Home™ software. The GPS assist data provides information about the location of the GPS satellites. By writing this information to your camera with the PlayMemories Home™ software, your camera can find and lock onto the GPS signal faster.