IMPORTANT: This article applies only to specific products and/or operating systems. Check the Applicable Products and Categories section of this article before starting these steps.
Follow these steps to determine where the noise in your computer is coming from. Check your manual for model-specific information. Manuals are posted on your model support page.
- Remove the discs from the optical drive.
- On your computer, press Fn and F2 keys to mute the sound or click the volume icon in the system tray and lower the volume.
- Check if the noise comes from the speakers.
- Check all the fan vents to determine if the noise is louder on those locations.
- If the fan noise is coming from the vent, download and install available BIOS update.
If you still hear loud scraping, grinding, whirring, chirping, or clicking sound from the fan location after you follow the steps above, repair may be required.
For all Sony products (EXCEPT VAIO computers): To send your product to a Sony facility to be repaired or to check the status of the a repair, visit our eService web site.
For VAIO Computer products: Please call 1-888-4SONYPC (476-6972) for service information for your product. To check the status of your VAIO product repair, have your phone number or Best Buy service number available and call 1-800-433-5778.