Certain camcorders will support webcam operation (live streaming) through the HDMI® port. Manuals are posted on your model support page.
Note: For select cameras, the USB streaming feature is available and offers enhanced live-stream video and audio capabilities. Check your operation manuals to verify compatibility. If USB streaming is not available on your camera, consider using the USB port with Imaging Edge Webcam software or an HDMI connection.
Before you start
You will need the following items to setup live streaming
- A camcorder that has an Auto Shut Off (A.Shut Off) Power Save option in the menu and a HDMI output port.
Manuals are posted on your model support page.
- Set the Auto Shut Off feature to either Off or Never to prevent it from automatically turning off while live streaming
- If your camcorder does not have this option, then it may not function for live streaming as the unit may automatically shut down after after a short period of time
- HDMI to USB video capture device (not a Sony product)
- HDMI cable. The camcorder model and your video capture device will determine the type of HDMI cable needed for connectivity
- USB cable
- A computer with streaming software installed
- The video capture device and software are not manufactured by Sony
- Make sure that you have a HDMI to USB video capture device and not a USB to HDMI adapter (for an external monitor)
Steps to setup live streaming
- Connect one end of the HDMI cable to the camcorder HDMI output and the other end of the cable to the HDMI input of the video capture device.
- Connect the video capture device to the computer using the USB cable.
- Turn on the camcorder by moving the POWER switch to the CAMERA position.
- Open the video/audio settings of the capture/streaming software on your computer.
- The software should recognize the video capture device and therefore your camcorder as a webcam.
- You should then see the live stream from the camcorder on your computer display.
- If you use an external microphone, then be sure to select the proper device in the audio settings of your computer.
- If the camcorder menu appears on the stream, then turn off the display: Navigate to HDMI Settings → HDMI Info. Display → Off.