Blurry, out-of-focus or distorted pictures may be the result of the following:
- The subject is too close to the camera lens
- Insufficient lighting
- Subject movement
- Camera movement
- Incorrect camera settings
- Incorrect camera operation
Follow the steps below to help prevent taking pictures that appear blurry, out-of-focus or distorted.
NOTE: If model-specific information is required to complete any of the steps in this solution, check the specifications or supplied operations guide. Manuals are posted on your model support page.
- If the camera has both an Auto Focus and Manual Focus modes, make sure it is set to Auto Focus.
- Make sure there is enough lighting to allow the camera to focus on the subject.
- Make sure the camera settings are set appropriately.
- When taking close-up or macro-type shots, ensure the subject is not closer than the minimum focus distance of the lens. Also, if the camera has a zoom option, set it to the W (wide-angle) position.
- If you have a fast-moving subject and the camera has a Program AE mode with a higher shutter speed (such as Sports action), make sure it is enabled. Also, if the camera has an ISO control, set it to a higher setting.
- If your camera has a SteadyShot® anti-blur function, ensure it is enabled.
- Steadily aim the camera at the subject.
- Press the shutter button halfway down.
- Pressing the shutter button halfway down allows the camera to focus automatically. A flashing green indicator will be visible in the LCD or viewfinder. When the indicator stops flashing, focusing is finished and the camera is ready to take the picture.
- Some camera models have a Monitoring AF setting that can be selected to allow the camera to focus without the need to hold the button halfway down. Consult the instruction manual of the camera for information whether or not this is applicable for your model.
- Press the shutter button all the way down to take the picture.
IMPORTANT: Do not move, bump or shake the camera while taking the picture.
- Review the picture.
- If the issue still occurs, try mounting the camera on a tripod to further reduce unintentional camera movement.
- If the camera continues to produce blurry pictures, reset the camera back to factory settings and then follow the steps above again.
The troubleshooting steps listed above should resolve your issue. If you have completed all of the steps and the issue is not resolved, service may be required.
For all Sony products (EXCEPT VAIO computers): To send your product to a Sony facility to be repaired or to check the status of the a repair, visit our eService web site.
For VAIO Computer products: Please call 1-888-4SONYPC (476-6972) for service information for your product. To check the status of your VAIO product repair, have your phone number or Best Buy service number available and call 1-800-433-5778.