There are many factors that can cause poor television audio through a surround sound receiver. Follow these steps to troubleshoot the issue.
- Because each of these steps represents a possible solution to this issue, check the television audio status after completing each step.
- If the television reception is poor and audio sounds poor when it is playing through the television, it will sound poor when it is played through a surround sound receiver. The television reception issue is causing the poor audio.
- If the audio line outputs on the television are variable depending on the volume setting of the television, turn down the television output volume to about half.
NOTE: Sony® televisions have settings for fixed or variable audio outputs. The fixed setting is recommended to produce the best audio quality.
- Because phono inputs have a built in amplifier that can cause distortion for any source other than a turntable, if the television audio output is connected to the Phono input, connect the television audio output to a different input on the receiver.
- Some televisions offer surround sound settings in their menu system to improve the soundfield when using the speakers built into the television which can distort the audio through a surround sound receiver. Disable the surround sound effects on the television to improve surround sound receiver audio quality.
- Verify that the A/V cables being used to connect the television to the receiver are not damaged.
NOTE: Replace the A/V cables if damaged.
- Some cable boxes have volume control which can cause low or distorted audio if not set properly. Contact the cable provider for assistance with their cable box.
- If the issue is still unresolved after completing the troubleshooting steps suggested, service may be required.
For all Sony products (EXCEPT VAIO computers): To send your product to a Sony facility to be repaired or to check the status of the a repair, visit our eService web site.
For VAIO Computer products: Please call 1-888-4SONYPC (476-6972) for service information for your product. To check the status of your VAIO product repair, have your phone number or Best Buy service number available and call 1-800-433-5778.