Follow these steps to troubleshoot a car stereo that has FADER or BALANCE volume problems.
- If model-specific information is needed to complete any of the steps in this solution, refer to the instructions supplied with the product. Manuals are posted on your model support page.
- We recommended that all car stereo installations be performed by a qualified, professional installer.
- If you are unable to hear voice through the speakers when making a hands-free Bluetooth® wireless connection, use this article to obtain the resolution for this issue.
- Before operating the system for the first time, replacing the car battery, changing the connections or adding components to your system, the car stereo receiver must be reset.
- Turn on the stereo system.
- Verify all speaker channel connections are secure.
- If an amplifier is installed, verify that it is connected correctly and has power.
- If the car stereo receiver has an audio Attenuation (ATT) feature, make sure it is turned off.
- Some systems offer a subwoofer (SUB) volume setting that can be edited through the menu of the car stereo. If the Sub/Rear option is set to SUB-OUT, there is no option to fade from front to rear. If applicable to your model, be sure this option is set to match your setup preference: either SUB-OUT for outputting to a subwoofer or REAR-OUT for outputting to a power amplifier.
- Attempt to adjust the volume.
- Press the MUTE button, if available.
- Adjust the fader or balance control.
- When using an auxiliary input for XM radio or a CD changer, ensure the car stereo is set to the appropriate auxiliary input.
- If there is sound from the FM receiver but not from an auxiliary input for XM radio or a CD changer, ensure the auxiliary device is properly connected to the car stereo.
- Connect the speakers to a known-working connection to verify there is not a problem with the speakers.
If the issue is still unresolved, service may be required.
For all Sony products (EXCEPT VAIO computers): To send your product to a Sony facility to be repaired or to check the status of the a repair, visit our eService web site.
For VAIO Computer products: Please call 1-888-4SONYPC (476-6972) for service information for your product. To check the status of your VAIO product repair, have your phone number or Best Buy service number available and call 1-800-433-5778.