IMPORTANT: If model-specific information is required to complete any of the steps in this solution, refer to the operating instructions supplied with the product. Manuals are posted on your model support page.
NOTE: Because each of these steps represents a possible solution to this issue, check the status of the camera after completing each step.
- Check the condition of the battery.
- Make sure you are using fresh or fully-charged batteries.
- It may take a while after putting in the battery before the power turns on since the camera status is being checked. This is not a malfunction.
- If the battery charge has been depleted, try again after charging.
- Batteries discharge faster when used in cold weather conditions. We recommend charging the battery under the environment of 50°F to 86°F (10°C to 30°C) until the CHARGE lamp goes off. The battery pack may not charge properly in temperatures outside this range.
- It is recommended to use a Sony® battery and battery charger. The use of after-market products may cause a malfunction.
NOTE: Some counterfeit products may look very similar to original Sony rechargeable battery packs, but do not have protective devices that meet quality standards for high output and long-term use. The use of third-party products may lead to accidents or malfunctions involving fire, rupture and the like. Please note that Sony bears no responsibility whatsoever for accidents or malfunctions that occur due to counterfeit battery packs.
- Make sure that the battery terminals are clean.
NOTE: If the CHARGE lamp does not light or blink while charging, the terminals may be dirty. Wipe the dust away with a dry cloth or cotton swab. Do not touch the terminals with your hands or metals.
The pictures below are a comparison of clean and dirty terminals.
- Make sure that the battery is inserted in the correct orientation.
- Turn on the camera.
- If the camera is still not turning on, attempt to turn on the camera in Playback/Edit mode by moving the mode switch to the Playback/Edit mode or by pressing the Playback button.
- Switch the unit to Camera mode and attempt to turn on the camera.
- If the issue is not resolved, try connecting the AC power adapter to the camera and a working electrical outlet.
NOTE: Skip this step if the camera being used does not support the use of an AC adapter.
- If the camera will still not turn on, connect the camera to a working USB port on a computer.
- Turn on the camera while it is connected to the computer.
NOTE: If the camera is charging using the computer, the AC adapter may need to be replaced.
- If the issue is not resolved, try replacing the batteries if available.
NOTE: If the camera turns on but is exhibiting a different issue, try the following links:
- The lens is stuck and will not open, retract, or extend .
- Turn the power off and on again is displayed .
- How to reset a camera back to original factory settings .
If the issue is still unresolved, service may be required. Go to Product Repair.