Follow the steps below to troubleshoot an issue with a commercially-produced disc:
- Make sure that the disc is inserted correctly with the label side up.
- Use a soft, dry cloth to clean the disc.
WARNING! There's a risk of data loss. Don't use solvents such as benzene, thinner, commercially available cleaners, or anti static spray intended for vinyl records. These products can damage the disc.
- Reinsert the disc, and then press the PLAY button to see if the disc plays.
- Hold the disc on the outer edge and don't touch the surface.
- Only press the PLAY button once. If you press the button more than once, the disc will stop playing. If this button doesn't work, repair may be required.
- For disc players with a HOLD switch, make sure that the switch is set to the OFF position.
- Try to play a couple of different discs.
Note: If the issue doesn't occur, the previous disc is faulty. Otherwise, continue with the troubleshooting steps.
- If applicable, reset the CD player.
Note: If your device doesn't have a RESET button, or steps to reset the memory:
- Unplug the power cord and remove the batteries, if applicable.
- Let your device sit for a couple of minutes without power.
- Plug the power cord back to in to the AC power outlet.
- If the disc still won't play, open the disc compartment, and let your device sit for about one hour to allow any moisture condensation to evaporate.
- If your device doesn't play any of the discs, the laser pick up may be dirty.
IMPORTANT: CD or DVD player lens cleaners are not recommended. Only a factory-trained technician can clean the lenses.
If the issue still occurs, repair may be required.
For all Sony products (EXCEPT VAIO computers): To send your product to a Sony facility to be repaired or to check the status of the a repair, visit our eService web site.
For VAIO Computer products: Please call 1-888-4SONYPC (476-6972) for service information for your product. To check the status of your VAIO product repair, have your phone number or Best Buy service number available and call 1-800-433-5778.