Follow this procedure to troubleshoot if the CD player will not play a disc.
- Ensure the CD player is plugged into a working AC outlet.
IMPORTANT: If the CD player is plugged into an AC outlet that is controlled by a light switch, ensure that the switch is in the ON position.
- Turn on the CD player.
- Use a soft cloth to clean the disc.
WARNING: There is a risk of data loss. Do not use solvents such as benzene, thinner, commercially available cleaners, or antistatic spray intended for vinyl records. These products can damage the disc.
- Attempt to play the disc.
IMPORTANT: CDR or CDRW discs recorded with a High-Speed Recording feature may not playback due to conditions that may have occurred during the burning process. The playback of discs created with a CD burner cannot be guaranteed. If CDR or CDRW discs are being used, attempt to playback a commercially produced CD.
- If the issue is not resolved, attempt to play a different commercially produced CD.
NOTE: If the issue only occurs with the first CD, then the disc is faulty and should be replaced.
- If the issue is occurring with more than one disc, turn off the CD player.
- Unplug the power cord of the CD player from the AC outlet for 30 seconds.
- Plug the power cord back into the AC outlet.
- Turn on the CD player and attempt to play the disc.
- If the issue is still not resolved, remove the disc and unplug the power cord from the AC outlet.
- Let the CD player remain without power for 1 hour in case of condensation.
- After an hour, plug the power cord back into the AC outlet and attempt to play the disc.
NOTE: If the CD player will still not play a disc after performing the troubleshooting steps above, then service will be required.
For all Sony products (EXCEPT VAIO computers): To send your product to a Sony facility to be repaired or to check the status of the a repair, visit our eService web site.
For VAIO Computer products: Please call 1-888-4SONYPC (476-6972) for service information for your product. To check the status of your VAIO product repair, have your phone number or Best Buy service number available and call 1-800-433-5778.