Follow these steps to troubleshoot why the VAIO® computer with the Windows® XP operating system (OS) freezes or stops at a blue or black screen, or randomly restarts.
- Follow this procedure if you experience an issue where the computer continuously restarts .
- If model-specific information is required to complete any of the steps in this solution, refer to the operating instructions supplied with the product. Manuals are posted on your model support page.
- Because each of these steps represents a possible solution to this issue, check the computer status after completing each step.
- If possible, download and install all available updates for your computer. Downloads are posted on your model support page.
- If not prompted to do so, restart the computer after installing any updates.
- The Windows® XP operating system requires a monitor that can display a minimum resolution of 800 x 600.
- Ensure all media has been removed from CD/DVD drives and floppy disk drives and then restart the computer.
NOTE: If this is the first time the computer has been started, or the first time the computer has been started after a recovery, the computer must be started in VGA Mode .
- Disconnect the computer from any network it may be connected to (if any).
- If you have encountered this issue after installing driver or application software, uninstall that software .
- Check to see if there is a virus, spyware, malware or other malicious software present on the computer.
- Reset the BIOS defaults .
NOTE: If unable to get to the BIOS screen, turn off the computer, disconnect the power cord for 30 seconds, then reconnect the power cord and attempt to enter the BIOS again.
- Restart the computer to the Last Known Good Configuration .
- Start the computer in Safe Mode.
- Install the monitor INF driver files when the computer is running in Safe Mode or VGA mode.
NOTE: The monitor type cannot be selected while in Safe Mode. Installing the monitor driver INF files allows the operating system to find the monitor information during a normal startup.
- While in Safe Mode, perform a System Restore procedure and return the computer back to a time when it was working correctly.
- Perform a System Recovery.