Full Specifications & Features
Full Specifications & Features
- Lens Mount
- Lens Compatibility
- Sony E-mount lenses
- Sensor Type
- 35 mm
- 35mm full frame (35.9 x 24.0mm), Exmor R CMOS sensor
- Number Of Pixels (Effective)
- 42.4 MP
- Anti-Dust System
- Charge protection coating on optical filter and image sensor shift mechanism
Recording (still images)
- Image Size (pixels), 3:2
- 35mm full frame L: 7952 x 5304 (42M), M: 5168 x 3448 (18M), S: 3984 x 2656 (11M), APS-C L: 5168 x 3448 (18M), M: 3984 x 2656 (11M), S: 2592 x 1728 (4.5M)
- Image Size (pixels), 16:9
- 35mm full frame L: 7952 x 4472 (36M), M: 5168 x 2912 (15M), S: 3984 x 2240 (8.9M), APS-C L: 5168 x 2912 (15M), M: 3984 x 2240 (8.9M), S: 2592 x 1456 (3.8M)
- Image Size (pixels), Sweep Panorama
- Wide: Horizontal 12416 x 1856 (23M), vertical 5536 x 2160 (12M), Standard: Horizontal 8192 x 1856 (15M), vertical 3872 x 2160 (8.4M)
- RAW Output
- 14 bit
- Uncompressed RAW
- Colour Space
- sRGB standard (with sYCC gamut) and Adobe RGB standard compatible with TRILUMINOS™ Color
- Recording Format (Movie)
- XAVC S / AVCHD format Ver. 2.0 compliant / MP4
- Image Size (pixels), PAL*
- XAVC S 4K: 3840 x 2160 (30p/100Mbps, 30p/60Mbps, 24p/100Mbps, 24p/60Mbps), XAVC S HD: 1920 x 1080 (60p/50Mbps, 30p/50Mbps, 24p/50Mbps), 1280 x 720 (120p/50Mbps), AVCHD: 1920 x 1080 (60p/28Mbps/PS, 60i/24Mbps/FX, 60i/17Mbps/FH, 24p/24Mbps/FX, 24p/17Mbps/FH), MP4: 1920 x 1080 (60p/28Mbps, 30p/16Mbps), 1280 x 720 (30p/6Mbps)
- Image Size (pixels), PAL
- XAVC S 4K: 3840 x 2160 (25p/100Mbps, 25p/60Mbps), XAVC S HD: 1920 x 1080 (50p/50Mbps, 25p/50Mbps), 1280 x 720 (100p/50Mbps), AVCHD: 1920 x 1080 (50p/28Mbps/PS, 50i/24Mbps/FX, 50i/17Mbps/FH, 25p/24Mbps/FX, 25p/17Mbps/FH), MP4: 1920 x 1080 (50p/28Mbps, 25p/16Mbps), 1280 x 720 (25p/6Mbps)
- Picture Profile
- Yes (Off / PP1-PP7) Parameters: Black level, Gamma (Movie, Still, Cine1-4, ITU709, ITU709 [800%], S-Log2), Black Gamma, Knee, Color Mode, Saturation, Color Phase, Color Depth, Detail, Copy, Reset
- Movie Functions
- Audio Level Display, Audio Rec Level, AF Tracking Sensitivity, AF Drive Speed, Auto Slow Shutter, HDMI info. Display (On/Off selectable), Time Code/User Bit, Picture Profile, Creative Style, Picture Effect, Rec Control, Dual Video Rec, Marker Setting, PAL/NTSC Selector
- Colour Space
- xvYCC standard (x.v.Color when connected via HDMI cable) compatible with TRILUMINOS™ Color
Clean HDMI Output
- Clean HDMI output
- NTSC: 3840 x 2160 (30p/24p) / 1920 x 1080 (60p/24p) / 1920 x 1080 (60i), YCbCr 4:2:2 8bit/ RGB 8bit, PAL: 3840 x 2160 (25p) / 1920 x 1080 (50p) / 1920 x 1080 (50i), YCbCr 4:2:2 8bit/ RGB 8bit
- Compatible Recording Media
- Memory Stick PRO Duo, Memory Stick PRO-HG Duo, Memory Stick Micro(M2), SD memory card, SDHC memory card (UHS-I compliant), SDXC memory card (UHS-I compliant), microSD memory card, microSDHC memory card, microSDXC memory card,
- Noise Reduction
- Long exposure NR: On/Off, available at shutter speeds longer than 1 sec., High ISO NR: Normal / Low / Off selectable
- White Balance Modes
- Auto WB / Daylight / Shade / Cloudy / Incandescent / Fluorescent (Warm White / Cool White / Day White / Daylight) / Flash / Color Temperature (2500 to 9900K) & Color Filter (G7 to M7: 57steps, A7 to B7: 29steps) / Custom / Underwater
- Focus Type
- Fast Hybrid AF(phase-detection AF/contrast-detection AF)
- Focus Point
- 35mm full frame: 399 points (phase-detection AF) APS-C: 357 points (phase-detection AF) / 25 points (contrast-detection AF)
- Other Features
- Lock-on AF, Eye AF, Predictive control, Focus lock; Eye-start AF and AF micro adjustment (both only available with optional LA-EA2 or LA-EA4 attached), AF illuminator (built-in, LED type, range: Approx. 0.30–3 m), AF ON
- Exposure Modes
- AUTO (iAUTO, Superior Auto), Programmed AE (P), Aperture priority (A), Shutter-speed priority (S), Manual (M), Movie, Sweep Panorama, Scene Selection
- ISO Sensitivity (Recommended Exposure Index)
- Still images: ISO 100-25600 (expandable to ISO 50–102400 for shooting still images), AUTO (ISO 100-6400, selectable lower limit and upper limit), Movies: ISO 100-25600 equivalent, AUTO (ISO 100-6400 equivalent, selectable lower limit and upper limit)
- Viewfinder Type
- XGA OLED, 1.3 cm (0.5 type) electronic viewfinder (colour)
- Monitor Type
- 7.5 cm (3.0-type) TFT drive
- Display Selecter (Finder/LCD)
- LCD Display
- Graphic Display / Display All Info. / No Disp. Info. / Histogram / Digital Level Gauge / Shooting information for viewfinder mode
- Image Processor
- BIONZ X™
- Electronic Front Shutter Curtain
- Yes, On/Off
- Silent Shooting
- Yes, On/Off
- Flash Compensation
- 3/5/9 frames selectable. With 3 or 5 frames, in 1/3, 1/2, 2/3, 1.0, 2.0, 3.0 EV increments, with 9 frames, in 1/3, 1/2, 2/3, 1.0 EV increments.
- Flash Modes
- Flash off, Autoflash, Fill-flash, Rear Sync., Slow Sync., Red-eye reduction (On/Off selectable), Hi-speed sync, Wireless
- FE Level Lock
- 10 sec. delay/5 sec. delay/2 sec. delay/Continuous self-timer (3 frames after 10 sec. delay/5 frames after 10 sec. delay/3 frames after 5 sec. delay/5 frames after 5 sec. delay/3 frames after 2 sec. delay/5 frames after 2 sec. delay)/Bracketing self-timer (Off/2 sec. delay/5 sec. delay/10 sec. delay)
- Speed (approx. max.)
- Continuous shooting Hi : Max. 5fps, Continuous shooting Lo: Max. 2.5fps
- No. of recordable frames (approx.)
- Continuous shooting Hi : 24 frames (JPEG Extra Fine L), 30 frames (JPEG Fine L), 37 frames (JPEG Standard L), 23 frames (RAW), 22 frames (RAW & JPEG), 9 frames (RAW (Uncompressed)), 9 frames (RAW (Uncompressed) & JPEG)
- Multi / Micro USB Terminal
- Wireless LAN (Built-In)
- Wi-Fi Compatible, IEEE802.11b/g/n (2.4GHz band): Playback of still images and movies on smartphones, PCs and TVs
- HD Output
- HDMI micro connector (Type-D), BRAVIA Sync (link menu), PhotoTV HD, 4K still image playback
- Auto-lock Accessory Shoe compatible with supplied shoe adaptor, Microphone terminal (3.5mm Stereo minijack), Headphone terminal (3.5mm Stereo minijack), Vertical Grip Connector
- Memory Function
- Yes (2 sets)
- Supplied Battery
- Rechargeable Battery Pack NP-FW50
- Battery Life (Still Images)
- Approx. 290 shots (viewfinder) / approx. 340 shots (LCD screen) (CIPA standard)
- Battery Life (CIPA, Movies)
- Actual: Approx. 50 min. with viewfinder, approx. 55 min. with LCD screen (CIPA standard), Continuous: Approx. 95 min. with viewfinder, approx. 95 min. with LCD screen (CIPA standard)
Size & Weight
- Dimensions (W x H x D)
- 126.9 x 95.7 x 60.3 mm
- Weight (with battery and memory card included)
- 582 g (Body Only) / 625 g (With battery and media)
- Wireless & Network Capabilities
- NFC One-touch functionality
What's In The Box
- Power Cord
- Rechargeable Battery NP-FW50 X 2
- Cable Protector
- AC Adaptor AC-UD10
- Battery Charger BC-VW1
- Shoulder Strap
- Body Cap
- Accessory Shoe Cap
- Eyepiece Cup
- Micro USB Cable
New back-illuminated full-frame CMOS sensor
The α7R II has the world’s first 35mm full-frame CMOS image sensor with back-illuminated structure, which achieves approx. 42.4 effective megapixel resolution, widely expanded sensitivity range , and extra-low noise performance. It also has no optical low-pass filter that can compromise sharpness, so fine clarity and detail extend from edge to edge of every frame.
High-speed BIONZ X™ image processing engine
With detail reproduction technology to capture the essence of realism, diffraction-reducing technology to maintain clarity even at smaller apertures, area-specific noise reduction to reduce noise adaptively and reproduce greater detail, the BIONZ X image processing engine finely tunes the image sensor's 42.4-megapixel data, for truer, clearer depiction.
All FE lenses maximize resolution
The growing group of FE lenses (35mm full-frame compatible E-mount lenses) — all carefully developed to match full-frame image sensors employing increasing numbers of pixels — makes the most of the 42.4-megapixel high-resolution performance of the α7R II.
Fast Hybrid AF now covers more
The high-performance image sensor enhances Fast Hybrid AF, which far surpasses conventional AF in comprehensiveness, speed and response. The 399 focal plane phase-detection AF points cover 45% of the image area — the most coverage among digital still cameras with full-frame image sensors. 25-point contrast-detection AF coverage is also included.
5-axis image stabilization
This stabilization system is fine-tuned for high-resolution image sensors to compensate accurately for five types of camera shake that can compromise handheld shooting of the camera's 42.4-megapixel images. Camera shake compensation is equivalent to using a 4.5-step faster shutter speed, allowing you to take advantage of a wider range of shutter speeds.
Higher-resolution 4K movie recording
Footage from 4K movie recording featuring full pixel readout without pixel binning in the Super 35mm format exhibits higher resolution and superior clarity than typical 4K movies. Also, the XAVC S format allows 4K recording at 100Mbps maximum bit rate to capture fine details of movement in movies.
XGA OLED Tru-Finder™ makes every view a vision
With the world's highest magnification at 0.78x among digital still camera viewfinders, the XGA OLED Tru-Finder provides views of cutting-edge definition, contrast and depth throughout the entire display. ZEISS T* Coating ensures absolutely minimal reflection on the viewfinder, so the α7R II’s extraordinary 42.4-megapixel performance is apparent at all times.
Tough magnesium alloy body
Designed for solid reliability and steady handling, the α7R II's compact body is built to withstand the rigors of shooting in the field, thanks to an internal structure and top, front, and rear covers all made of strong, rigid magnesium alloy.
Durable reduced-vibration shutter
The new shutter's braking mechanism cuts mechanical front/rear curtain vibration by about 50% . Also, use the electronic front curtain for even less vibration. This not only minimizes camera shake that can blur details in 42.4-megapixel images — it makes the shutter durable enough to have been tested to 500,000 cycles.
Silent Shooting features an electronic shutter that causes no vibration, so you can shoot high-resolution images without camera shake. This mode also operates without a sound, so it's very convenient for shooting without disrupting indoor performances and outdoor wildlife, and in all other situations where silence is essential.
Supports 14-bit uncompressed RAW format
New compatibility with 14-bit uncompressed RAW format lets you choose the optimal format for your needs. The camera thereby ensures supreme quality of tonal gradation to maximise the benefit of the image sensor's wide dynamic range.
One-touch remote and one-touch sharing
One-touch remote lets you use your smartphone or tablet as a viewfinder and remote control for a digital camera, and one-touch sharing lets you transfer your photos and videos from your camera. Either way, by installing Imaging Edge Mobile app to your NFC enable Android smartphone or tablet, you can avoid complex set-up sequences and establish wireless connection simply by touching your device to the camera. You are now ready to control your camera from your smartphone to take a photo from a previously out-of-reach spot, or simply be in your own group shot, as well as transfer them instantly to your smartphone for sharing on SNS. No NFC? No problem. You can also pair the devices manually.
PlayMemories Camera Apps add personal touches
Sony's application download service lets you add new functions and capabilities to your camera. There are apps for photo and movie effects to enhance and express your creativity, and others to allow your smartphone to function as a camera's remote control, for example. Note: Services availability depends on region.
Always keep the eye in focus
Significantly accurate Eye AF (available with AF-C) provides consistently useful autofocusing on the eye of a subject, even if the subject is in motion. This reliable tool is extremely effective in assuring more successful focused portraiture with fewer photo fails.
Expand Flexible Spot
If the selected AF point is not positioned on your subject, the α7R II automatically uses AF points surrounding the selected point to support precise focus.
Compatibility with wide-ranging mountable lenses
5-axis image stabilization lets you enjoy unparalleled handheld shooting freedom with more of your favorite mountable lenses. The short flange-back distance in the E-mount α7R II extends compatibility with a range of lenses.
Stable viewfinder image
You can monitor the stabilizing effects of camera shake compensation in the viewfinder or LCD screen while shooting still images by pressing the shutter button halfway or magnifying the image, and while shooting movies by entering movie mode. Even when using a telephoto or macro lens, you can fine-tune framing and focusing without stress for steady results.
Fine-tune the look of movies before shooting by adjusting gradation, colour adjustment and detail. Adjusted parameters can be saved with other settings as a profile, and up to 7 profiles(PP1-PP7) can be stored for later recall.
S-Log2 Gamma setting
This proprietary Sony setting featured in professional camcorders creates a 1300% wider dynamic range for smooth gradation with reduced whiteout and blackout. Use color grading in post-production to make the most of low-noise images and super-rich detail to express footage in various ways. ISO 800 or higher is available when S-Log2 Gamma is selected.
Clean HDMI output
This function supports 4K and Full HD and allows uncompressed movie output to an external recorder or monitor. The image can also be recorded in the camera even while signals are output using this function. The included cable protector guards jacks and prevents cables from disengaging accidentally, so you can shoot with greater assurance.
More precise white balance adjustment
The α7R II offers more white balance adjustment steps (twice as many on the amber-blue axis; four times as many on the green-magenta axis) than before, so you can finely tune white balance with more subtle precision for more natural colours.
This function that boosts image brightness by changing shutter speed, for example, can be assigned to a customizable button for easy access when shooting a starry sky or other dark scene.
ISO Auto Minimum Shutter Speed
Prevent blur in a shot of a moving subject by setting a shutter speed at which ISO sensitivity starts changing when ISO AUTO (while in P or A mode, or in Multi Frame NR) is selected.
1200-zone Evaluative Metering
Ample data from 1200-zone metering and focal plane phase-detection AF points allows for more precise control of light volume from an external flash that complements ambient light. Choose Multi-segment, Center-weighted or Spot metering mode.
Priority setup in AF-C/AF-S
In AF-S (Single-shot AF) or AF-C (Continuous AF) mode, choose AF priority for taking pictures only when subject is in focus, Release priority for taking pictures even when subject is not in focus, or Balanced Emphasis for balancing the AF and Release options to achieve accurate focus, yet not miss a decisive moment when shooting moving subjects.
In this mode, press the shutter button halfway down, and the camera automatically recognizes whether the subject is moving or not, then switches AF mode accordingly between AF-S to lock on a subject in focus and AF-C to keep adjusting focus. This versatility is useful for shooting various subjects at the same time, or to avoid switching AF mode manually.
Creative Style settings bring out the character of your scene. Simply select any of 13 settings (Vivid, Portrait, etc.) and the camera will adjust image parameters. You can also fine-tune contrast, saturation and sharpness to suit your preference.
Auto HDR (High Dynamic Range)
Auto HDR composites the best details from three exposures to expand the dynamic range of your images from darkest shadows to brightest highlights and capture all the tonal gradations seen by your naked eye.
D-range Optimizer (DRO)
In difficult lighting, DRO corrects your images to achieve smoother, more natural gradations with more detail in the highlights and shadows. You can use it during continuous shooting and when photographing moving subjects.
Multi Frame NR (Noise Reduction)
This mode composites four shots to significantly suppress noise and raise sensitivity, letting you clearly capture dark scenes without a tripod or flash. Camera shake blur is also lowered while contrast and detail are raised.
Focus Magnifier & Peaking function
You can clearly magnify the image to simplify manual fine-tuning of the focus whether shooting still images or movies. The Peaking function can also be activated to colourize the most sharply focused areas of your image for quick confirmation.
Capture One (for Sony)
Capture One Express (for Sony) is free software for high-quality finishing of RAW data. Capture One Pro (for Sony) can be bought for such compatible functions as local adjustment and PC tethered shooting.
Works with iMovie and Final Cut Pro X
This product is compatible with Final Cut Pro X and iMovie.
Imaging Edge™ Remote, Viewer, and Edit
Elevate your photography with Imaging Edge desktop applications. Use "Remote" to control and monitor shooting live on your PC screen; "Viewer" to quickly preview, rate, and select photos from large image libraries; and "Edit" to develop RAW data into high-quality photos for delivery. Get the best from Sony RAW files, and manage your productions more efficiently.