IMPORTANT: This article applies only to specific products and/or operating systems. Check the Applicable Products and Categories section of this article before starting these steps.
Follow these steps to troubleshoot the CD/DVD drive in a non-Sony computer.NOTES:
- Sony® DVDROM drives will not read DVDRAM disks.
- Sony DVD-RW drives support only DVD-R(G) and DVD-RW media.
- The Windows® XP operating system does not provide native support for CDR or CDRW disks formatted for packet writing. Packet writing software must be installed in order access these discs. If packet writing software is not installed, the disc must be closed on the computer used to create it in order to read the data on it.
- Reinsert the disc.
- Attempt to access the drive after restarting the computer.
- Wait a few seconds for the CD/DVD to be detected before double-clicking to access it.
- Ensure the disc is inserted correctly.
NOTE: The label should be facing up for CD and single sided DVD discs.
- If another audio or data CD/DVD works in the drive, the disc may be damaged in some way and is not readable.
- Ensure the problem is not caused by the media .
- If the disc requires additional software, ensure the software is installed according to the manufacturers instructions.
- Reinstall the CD/DVD driver .
- It is possible that the drive lens has accumulated some dust and needs to be cleaned.
- If the drive is internal, ensure the drive is properly connected.
NOTE: Refer to the installation instructions for the CD/DVD drive for the proper procedure to install the drive.
- If the drive is an external drive, ensure the drive is connected properly and has not been shut down or disconnected since the system was started.
- If the issue is still unresolved after completing all of the troubleshooting steps, service may be required.
For all Sony products (EXCEPT VAIO computers): To send your product to a Sony facility to be repaired or to check the status of the a repair, visit our eService web site.
For VAIO Computer products: Please call 1-888-4SONYPC (476-6972) for service information for your product. To check the status of your VAIO product repair, have your phone number or Best Buy service number available and call 1-800-433-5778.