Follow the steps below to troubleshoot this issue.
- This article is for VAIO® computers with Windows® XP operating system (OS).
- This issue may be caused by an installed printer that is not physically attached and turned on. Attach and turn on the printer and then start the notebook.
- Touchpad driver updates may be found online. Downloads are posted on your model support page.
- Disable the tapping feature of the touchpad .
- Ensure the touchpad is not accidentally being touched while using the keyboard.
- Slow down the speed of the pointer and the double-click speed .
- Reinstall the touchpad drivers. Downloads are posted on your model support page.
- Verify the correct AC adapter is being used and connected properly.
- Restore the computer back to a date when the touchpad was working properly using the System Restore feature .
- Start the computer in Safe Mode. If the touchpad works properly in safe mode, software is interfering with the touchpad and a System Recovery may resolve the issue.
If the issue is still unresolved, service may be required.
For all Sony products (EXCEPT VAIO computers): To send your product to a Sony facility to be repaired or to check the status of the a repair, visit our eService web site.
For VAIO Computer products: Please call 1-888-4SONYPC (476-6972) for service information for your product. To check the status of your VAIO product repair, have your phone number or Best Buy service number available and call 1-800-433-5778.