This issue can occur with an Audio/Video (A/V) receiver that has HDMI® Active Intelligence. HDMI communicates with all of the HDMI-connected devices and requires authentication (a.k.a. handshake) from each device. Since the DVI jack on the TV is not HDMI, authentication cannot occur and may cause the A/V receiver to not produce any audio.
There are a couple of items you may want to try to see if they will restore the sound:
IMPORTANT: If model-specific information is needed to complete any of these steps, refer to the instructions supplied with the product. Manuals are posted on your model support page.
- Power off the TV, the A/V receiver and the set-top box (STB) if using one in your set-up.
- Unplug any HDMI cables that are connected to the A/V receiver.
- Unplug the TV, A/V receiver and STB power cords from the AC power outlet.
- Let the components remain without power for approximately 5 minutes.
- Plug the power cords back into the AC power outlet.
- Power back on all of the components.
- Reset the A/V receiver back to factory settings.
If doing the power reset on all connected HDMI components does not work or if the factory reset performed on the A/V receiver still does not produce any sound, you will need to use a different connection method between the A/V receiver and TV to obtain sound from any of the HDMI-connected playback devices. Depending on the input and output jacks available on your TV and A/V receiver, use a component video (Y/Pb/Pr), S-Video or standard video cable if your TV does not have a HDMI input jack.
The troubleshooting steps listed above should resolve your issue. If you have completed all of the steps and the issue is not resolved, service may be required.
For all Sony products (EXCEPT VAIO computers): To send your product to a Sony facility to be repaired or to check the status of the a repair, visit our eService web site.
For VAIO Computer products: Please call 1-888-4SONYPC (476-6972) for service information for your product. To check the status of your VAIO product repair, have your phone number or Best Buy service number available and call 1-800-433-5778.