IMPORTANT: This article applies only to specific products and/or operating systems. Check the Applicable Products and Categories section of this article before starting these steps.
Follow this procedure to troubleshoot if a humming or static noise occurs through the TV or stereo system speakers.
- Ensure the stereo speakers are connected properly to the receiver.
- Ensure the DVD player is connected properly to the TV or stereo system.
- Composite and S-Video cables from the DVD player should not be connected at the same time.
- Analog and digital audio cables from the DVD player should not be connected at the same time.
- Ensure the A/V cable from the DVD player has not been mistakenly plugged into a component video input jack on the TV or receiver.
- Ensure the TV or stereo system is set to the appropriate Audio/Video (A/V) input to receive the signal from the DVD player.
- Ensure the A/V cables from the DVD player are away from the power cords of the other connected components.
- Play the DVD.
- If the issue is still unresolved, connect the DVD player to a different A/V input on the TV or stereo system.
- Set the TV or stereo system to the new A/V input to receive the signal from the DVD player.
- Verify that any effect settings in the TV are turned off.
- If the issue is still unresolved, attempt to play a different DVD.
- If the issue is still unresolved, replace the A/V cables.
NOTE: If the issue is still unresolved after completing all of the troubleshooting steps, service may be required.
For all Sony products (EXCEPT VAIO computers): To send your product to a Sony facility to be repaired or to check the status of the a repair, visit our eService web site.
For VAIO Computer products: Please call 1-888-4SONYPC (476-6972) for service information for your product. To check the status of your VAIO product repair, have your phone number or Best Buy service number available and call 1-800-433-5778.