Follow this procedure to troubleshoot if the VCR does not output any sound or audio.
NOTE: If connected to a cable box, verify that the cable box volume is turned up.
- Insert a prerecorded tape into the VCR.
- Play the tape.
- Make sure the coaxial cable is connected to the UHF/VHF OUT out on the VCR.
- Make sure the other end of the coaxial cable is connected to the UHF/VHF IN on the TV.
- Make sure an Audio/Video (A/V) cable is connected to the AUDIO/VIDEO OUT on the VCR.
- Make sure the other end of the A/V cable is connected to the appropriate A/V input on the TV or stereo receiver.
- If the VCR is connected to a stereo receiver, tune the stereo receiver to the appropriate A/V input to receive the signal from the VCR.
- If the VCR is connected to a TV only, tune the TV to the appropriate channel or video input to receive the signal from the VCR.
- If an AUDIO MONITOR button is present on the VCR or supplied remote control, repeatedly press this button to cycle through the different audio options on the VCR.
NOTE: Not all VCRs are equipped with an Audio Monitor feature. To see if your VCR has this feature, refer to the operating instruction supplied with the product. Manuals are posted on your model support page.
- If the issue is still unresolved, attempt to play another prerecorded tape.
If the issue is still unresolved after completing all of the troubleshooting steps, service may be required.
For all Sony products (EXCEPT VAIO computers): To send your product to a Sony facility to be repaired or to check the status of the a repair, visit our eService web site.
For VAIO Computer products: Please call 1-888-4SONYPC (476-6972) for service information for your product. To check the status of your VAIO product repair, have your phone number or Best Buy service number available and call 1-800-433-5778.