Damages caused by contact with liquids are subject to repair fees. Also, there are many cases where important data cannot be recovered and is lost due to liquid getting on the device.
The following images are examples of how the device may be exposed to water or liquids:
Water damage may be caused by the following:
- Water drops
- Water gets into the Walkman® player when using it while raining.
- Using the Walkman player after some kitchen work and hand washing without drying your hands.
- Being submerged in water
- Spilling a drink
- Dropping the player into wash basin, bathtub, toilet, water tank, etc.
- Leaving the player in clothes pocket and put it through the washing machine.
- Moving from a cold environment to a warm room may cause condensation.
- Going out from a cool air-conditioned room then outdoors may cause condensation.
- Putting the Walkman player into a bag together with a cold plastic bottle may cause condensation.
- Condensation inside the Walkman player caused by the effect of sweat or humidity.
Check the following points on how to protect the Walkman player from water damage:
- Do not use the Walkman player with wet hands.
- In the season when it is easy to sweat, keep the Walkman player away from your body, for example put the Walkman player inside a bag.
- Do not leave the Walkman player in humid places for a long time.
- Avoid using the Walkman player where it is easy to get wet.
- Do not put the Walkman player inside a bag together with a cold plastic bottle.
- If Walkman player gets wet, use a soft cloth (such as spectacles wiping cloth) to wipe the surface of the Walkman player right away.
- Thinner, gasoline (benzene), or alcohol will damage the exterior finish of the Walkman player, therefore do not use those products.
If the water exposure is substantial, it may cause fire or electric shock. Therefore, stop using the Walkman player, turn off the power, and remove the connected devices right away. Even though the water drops are wiped clean, some water may have seeped into the interior of the Walkman player. Contact support to have the Walkman player checked as soon as possible.
For all Sony products (EXCEPT VAIO computers): To send your product to a Sony facility to be repaired or to check the status of the a repair, visit our eService web site.
For VAIO Computer products: Please call 1-888-4SONYPC (476-6972) for service information for your product. To check the status of your VAIO product repair, have your phone number or Best Buy service number available and call 1-800-433-5778.
- Places where water may easily get into the Walkman player
A small amount of water may get into the Walkman player through tiny gaps. Continuous or repetitive exposure to small amount of liquid caused by water drops or humidity inside the Walkman player may lead to internal components corroding over time. As much as possible avoid using or leaving the Walkman player in an environment where sudden temperature changes occur.
- 1: Buttons gap
- 2: Exterior gap
- 3: WM-PORT jack
- Walkman player corrosion
Once the moisture gets into the body of your Walkman player, the internal components may be corroded, or short-circuited. Also, the WM-PORT jack may be corroded, blue rust may appear as shown below. In particular, if the moisture remains in the metal terminal part, it will cause the rust to accumulate and damage the Walkman player.
- To prevent the WM-PORT jack from getting wet
- If using a model that comes with a WM-PORT cap, use that cap since it will prevent the water or dust from getting in. Refer to the manual on how to install the cap.
Manuals are posted on your model support page.
1: WM-PORT cap
- Use a soft and dry cloth when removing dust in the WM-PORT jack. If using a damp cloth, or blow the dust out with your breath, moisture will adhere and cause damages.
- If using a model that comes with a WM-PORT cap, use that cap since it will prevent the water or dust from getting in. Refer to the manual on how to install the cap. Manuals are posted on your model support page.
- Damages caused by dirt in between the case and the body of the Walkman player
When using a case, it is recommended to remove it and clean the Walkman player frequently. Dust collected between the case and the body of the Walkman player may retain humidity and cause damage.