The message This copy of Windows is not genuine may be displayed on the Windows® desktop for several reasons. The message also may be associated with an error code. Use the information below to remove this message:
- You did not activate the Windows® 7 operating system within 30 days of the installation. To resolve the issue, activate the Windows® 7 operating system .
- The Windows® product key was entered incorrectly and the message Invalid product key may be displayed. To resolve the issue, try the following:
- Verify you are using the product key located on the Windows® 7 operating system box and NOT the one located on the VAIO® computer.
- You may have mistyped the product key. Verify the product key and try typing it again.
- If you are confident you are entering the correct product key, contact Microsoft® support for more information.
- If your computer has been serviced, and you are now trying to reinstall the Windows® 7 operating system, you may be unable to activate the Windows® operating system and will instead receive an invalid product key error. This may happen because the product key is detected as in-use on another computer. To resolve the issue, choose the phone activation option in the activation wizard and follow the on-screen instructions.
- If you try to activate the same Windows® 7 operating system product key (COA) on more than one computer using the same product key, these messages may be displayed now or in the future. To resolve the issue, obtain a unique Windows® 7 product key for each computer.
- You are using a Windows® 7 upgrade product key to activate a clean install of the Windows® 7 operating system. You may receive the error 0xC004F061. This error can occur if you are trying to install an upgrade version of the Windows® 7 operating system on a computer with an empty or formatted hard drive. When using a Windows® 7 upgrade product key, the installation must detect a previous version of the Windows® XP, Windows Vista® or Windows® 7 operating system. To resolve the issue, use the information on the Microsoft® Web site at http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Windows-7-activation-error-0xC004F061.
- You installed a language pack on a version of the Windows® 7 operating system other than Ultimate or Enterprise. Language packs are supported on the Ultimate or Enterprise version of the Windows® 7 operating system only. If you installed a language pack on a lower version, you may have used third-party software to install it. If the Windows® Genuine Authentication tool detects a language pack is installed on an unsupported version of Windows, then the message This copy of Windows is not genuine along with the error code 0x8004FE21 is displayed. To resolve the issue, reverse any changes made by the third-party software and uninstall it.
- You receive the error 0xC004C003 the activation server determined the specific product key is blocked. This error may indicate Microsoft® Corporation does not allow activation using that product key. The error window should include a phone number to contact Microsoft® support for more information.
If you are not able to resolve the issue using the information above, follow one of the procedures below:
NOTE: Any one of the following procedures may resolve the issue. The easiest and quickest solutions are listed first.
- Perform a Windows system restore to a date before the issue started occurring.
- Verify the Software Protection service is started and set to automatic .
- Run sfc /scannow.
- Click the Start button and then in the Search box, type: cmd
- Under Programs, right-click cmd and then click Run as administrator.
NOTE: If prompted for an administrator password or a User Account Control prompt is displayed, type the appropriate password, or click Yes.
- In the cmd.exe window, type: sfc /scannow and then press the Enter key.
- Boot the computer using the F8 key and run a startup repair .
- If you perform a system recovery you will lose all the data on your hard drive, including files, settings and third-party applications.
- For model-specific information about performing a VAIO system recovery, refer to the User's guide. Manuals are posted on your model support page.
- Install the original operating system using the VAIO recovery software and then perform the Windows® 7 upgrade again.