Follow this procedure to troubleshoot the touchpad.
IMPORTANT: This article applies only to specific products and/or operating systems. Check the Applicable Products and Categories section of this article before starting these steps.
- Turn off the computer.
- Ensure that an external PS/2®, serial or USB mouse is not connected to the computer.
- Turn on the computer.
- If possible, connect a PS/2 or serial mouse to the computer.
NOTE: If connecting an external mouse works, disconnect the mouse and try the touchpad again. If the touchpad works, there is no need to continue with the remainder of this procedure.
- Reinstall the touchpad drivers. Downloads are posted on your model support page.
- Reinitialize the mouse driver .
- Reset the BIOS defaults.
- Use System Restore to restore the registry to when the mouse last worked.
If the issue is still unresolved, service may be required.
For all Sony products (EXCEPT VAIO computers): To send your product to a Sony facility to be repaired or to check the status of the a repair, visit our eService web site.
For VAIO Computer products: Please call 1-888-4SONYPC (476-6972) for service information for your product. To check the status of your VAIO product repair, have your phone number or Best Buy service number available and call 1-800-433-5778.